How to connect to same wife router

I am having problem connecting to my home wi-fi router when I start my laptop. It is picking my neighbour's router. I have to change it to connect to mine after starting. I can I configure my laptop to connect my router every time I start the laptop?

Reply to
NewToFPGA
Loading thread data ...

Which operating system? The various Windows types still in the wild may have a different way. And the Mac is different still.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

windows XP

Reply to
NewToFPGA

I run a Mac, so I don't think I can help you. That info was still needed to establish who could help you out .However, the Mac does allow you to pick a specific router to be the default router. In Macs it is the preferences area, you might want to root around and see if there is a similar thing with XP. It sounds like yours is currently set up to grab whichever router has the best signal.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

sounds like you are both using the same channel so change yours to another channel.

Reply to
Yes Baby

NewToFPGA hath wroth:

Ok, XP. I'll also guess that you're using MS Wireless Zero Config and not the manufacturers wireless connection manager. If you're using the mfg client manager, none of the following applies.

Make sure your SSID is unique and not duplicated. If it's "linksys", "default", "dlink", "belkin" or "hpconfig", change it in your unspecified model router.

Next, make sure you're not connecting to just any old network: Hit "Advanced" Uncheck the box "connect to any available network".

Next, change the order in which your laptop connects. Double click on the wireless icon in the system tray. Select "Change order of preferred networks" Move your network name to the top of the list.

(Labels may not be exact because I'm doing this from memory).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Most drivers for the wi-fi connection will have a way to select which networks are preferred. Use that to change your network to one that's preferred, not the neighbors. Which make/model is your wi-fi card?

And what's a "wife router"?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

A special kind of router with such complex security no man can understand it.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

"Bill Kearney" wrote in alt.internet.wireless:

The equipment you need to keep identification of a mistress secured.

Reply to
SMH

I threw my last one out after some dude installed his third-party firmware into it.

Reply to
Warren Oates

"Bill Kearney" hath wroth:

It's a variation of "vendor lock", where the network hardware vendor has sold a customer so much hardware, that they're effectively married to each other. Also see cryptogamic (false marriage) vendor.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.