turn part of the cisco switch into a plain switch

Hi

I would like to turn a few switchports of my 3560 into a completely separate dummy plain switch. Is it possible? I have configured a few ports to be no access vlan. Devices connected in these ports are able to ping each other. However, devices connected in these ports are not able to ping the devices connected in ports that have assigned vlans. This makes the switch configuration not equivalent to a separate dummy plain switch. How to make the separation possible?

Thanks

Reply to
a
Loading thread data ...

Ports configured as access ports default to vlan 1 unless they have been assigned to another vlan. Configuring "no switchport access vlan" puts then into the default vlan ... vlan 1. Hosts connected to those ports can ping each other because they are in the same vlan and cannot ping hosts in other vlans ... as you would expect from a 'dummy plain sitch'.

What switching rules do you expect?

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

"BernieM" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D :45d15e4e$0$34578$ snipped-for-privacy@ken-reader.news.telstra.net...

Hi Bernie Thanks for your reply. But I have used no access vlan 1 for that switchport, is it still in vlan 1? If the devices are in VLAN, then it is not a dummy switch. It is because the packet will first try to find its default VLAN interface. A dummy switch is just like a physical layer switch with CLI control. Just a little bit more than a piece of cable. Is it possible? Thanks

Reply to
a

You want say 4 ports to act as if they were on their own independant dummy switch, right ?

Then you put those 4 ports into their own vlan (say vlan 7). Then any/all traffic that is sent into any of those 4 ports will only ever go to those 4 ports, just like it was in its own switch.

Broadcasts sent by a device connected to one of those 4 ports will only go to the other 3 ports on that VLAN.

The would be a hub then.

A hub transmits all information from all ports to all ports. A switch learns the ethernet addresses of devices connected to each port, so a unicast to a known ethernet address gets sent to only that port.

I am not certain you could turn all 4 ports into a "hub". But you can make one port listen in on the remaining 3 with port mirroring. This way, one port would see all the traffic sent/received by the other 3 ports. (acting a bit like a hub).

Reply to
JF Mezei

You may have used "no access vlan 1" but does that appear in the config? A switchport by default is in vlan 1 but "switchport access vlan 1" is one of those default settings that doesn't appear when you do a "show run".

What do you mean by a dummy switch. By default all ports on a switch are in the same vlan but not 'on the same piece of wire'. As JF Mezei explained that's the difference between a switch and a hub. For the switch to act like a hub you'd have to disable the 'mac-address table' function so all packets get transmitted out all ports. Is this what you're expecting?

What do you mean by "the packet will first try to find its default VLAN interface"? Frames coming from the servers and frames coming from the switch, on an access port, are not vlan tagged.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.