How can I tell if someone is using my wireless net?

um - yeah - right

Reply to
riggor99999
Loading thread data ...

OK, so you have personal problems with Gibson...

How is it "trivially" easy to find out. Cryptography papers in hard copy aren't available to most of us. Which tends to mean relying on what you find on the Internet.

Hardly. I see as much self-serving hype on that page as you'll ever see from Gibson.

I've had a personal website too. You can be anything. Maybe you should go to grc.com and find out how great Steve Gibson is!

Oh, right. And Al Gore created the Internet. (OK, the second of the first two references I found did credit Bruce Schneier with Blowfish, but really

- you can't trust what you read on the Internet).

Reply to
Derek Broughton

You have my sincere sympathy.

It's trivially easy to find out, and vetting is a very important part of security.

No credentials in this area at all.

Actually just the opposite, by spreading dangerously bad advice; e.g., (part of my "File and Printer Sharing (NetBIOS) Fact and Fiction").

Start by checking out Bruce Schneier, books, papers, recognition, etc. That should lead you both to his personal website, and to Counterpane Systems. Find out who created Blowfish, Twofish, Solitaire, Helix, and Phelix, not to mention Password Safe. Check out Counterpane Systems.

Then ask yourself how Steve Gibson, self-proclaimed expert on everything, measures up.

Reply to
John Navas

Quite, some believe that Rivest, Shamir and Adleman created the RSA encryption algorithm when it was an English guy called Clifford Cocks who thought it up one evening, 4 years years prior to when RSA reinvented and published it.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I have professional problems with Gibson. There's nothing personal about it.

That's more than good enough.

Think what you want. I'm done with this.

Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

And patented it. Since the patent (4,405,829) was never successfully challenged, their claim would seem to have considerable weight. :) But wait! Derek says I can't believe anything on the Internet, and the patent is on the Internet, so I can't believe that either! What to do? What to do?

Reply to
John Navas

That's right, they are now credited with the first successful commercial use but not the first discovery. That information only came to light fairly recently as it was covered by the Official Secrets Act in the UK which prohibited its release and any patent challenge I guess.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Citation?

Reply to
John Navas

Sure, just Google for "Clifford Cocks official secrets act"

Reply to
David Taylor

That's not a citation. Try again.

Reply to
John Navas

Did you try? Because you'll get loads of links, they just pop right up. Which of loads of pages would you like, they all say the same thing.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Specifically, which of the 918,000 results would you like me to cite? :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.