Help with Prolink Router.

Lost the password and I must reset my router. I have some screen shots of what most of the settings used to be, but probably not everything.

I looked for simplified instructions on what settings I need to change after the reset in order to get the damn thing working.

But all I found was this Manual which might was well be written in Greek considering all the techo babble it contains.

formatting link

What are the minimum settings I need to make to get the thing running again.

This is for 3 windows stand alone computers.

After I reset the thing, what default setting are there that I do not have to bother with and what are the simplest steps to get it up and running? Any real help, thanks.

Reply to
networkdummy
Loading thread data ...

- What model Prolink router? Extra credit for the hardware version. It should be on the serial number sticker.

- What is your internet connection? (DSL, Cable, dialup, neighbors wi-fi, WISP, etc).

The minimum is...

LAN side: IP address. DHCP IP range (probably only needed if you have devices on your LAN with static IP addresses). WAN (internet) side: Type of internet connection (DHCP, static, PPPoE, PPPoA, etc) ISP authentication: Login name Login password WiFi: SSID (Wi-Fi login or system name) WPA2-TKIP (Wi-Fi pass phrase).

That's about it for most wireless routers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for your reply Jeff, you always have the best replies; glad ur still here for us.

I am not at home so I will have to send the model number later. Only know that the pix in the url/manual I gave looks identical to the unit.

I have the screenshots about 10 pages of them, much of which I don't understand but I can see what the settings were before and with your additional help, go from there, I hope. Will post later what the results are as I have never done this before.

Reply to
networkdummy

Y'er welcome. Glad to be of some assistance.

Well, it's nice to know what you have to work with. Don't forget about my 2nd question, which is what flavor of ISP are you using (DSL, cable, wi-fi, satellite, WISP, etc). This makes a big difference on the WAN (internet) settings.

Welcome to "Learn by Destroying". You don't really understand how something works until after you've destroyed it, and then fixed it.

I'll take a leap of faith and guess(tm) that it's a Prolink 5004n wireless router. If so, this should help:

formatting link
It shows the same three pages of settings that I suggested are the only ones of great importance. There are a bunch of links to various Prolink docs near the bottom of the page:

Argh. I just noticed that I screwed up my previsou message in the wi-fi section:

That should be: WiFi: SSID (Wi-Fi login or system name) WPA2-AES (Wi-Fi pass phrase). or if you must: WPA2-Mixed (Wi-Fi pass phrase).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You guessed right. According to the screen shots its a prolink h5004nk adsl wireless modem

Everyone is using wifi, not dls. It's a wired wifi router with ports for DSL being unused.

Yeah but I don't own it and I'm not the one paying most of the bill. I'm just trying to get the pw so I can reboot the rounter from browser which in the past worked. The modem/router is very flaky and often disallows DNS lookups requiring a reboot of the router. Don't know why?

Ok, I went through the old screen shots and these are the sections that look important maybe requiring my input after the reset:

DNS CONFIGURATION LAN CONFIGURATION LAN INTERFACE SETUP LAN PORT DHCP MODE COMMIT/REBOOT-COMMIT

CHANGES, RESET,REBOOT IP QOS IGMP PROXY CONFIG ENABLED

Funny I don't see in the screenshots a section for setting encryption/passphrase? What section would that be under? The sections at the top of the screenshots are: Status, Setup,Advanced,Service,Firewall,Maintenance,Logout

Thanks again Jeff, ur the BEST!

Reply to
networkdummy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.