Help! New HP dj6840 wireless printer setup fails

I bought myself a Christmas present of an HP Deskjet 6840 wireless printer and am having difficulty getting it set up on all the computers on my WPA-TKIP enabled network. It is installed and working fine on a 98se desktop wired to my Belkin F5D-7230-4 router and wireless to the printer. It also is setup and works fine on my son's new wireless G internal laptop through the router. The problem is with my Sony Vaio R505 laptop with a Belkin wireless G card. The setup program finds the printer and goes 3/4 of the way through setup and then encounters and reports a "severe error" dialog and must uninstall and reboot---try again" I have manually setup the enu driver file through printers setup in windows and installed the basic driver and it prints but is "hobbled" without the addl. software and bi-directional communication implemented. I am really pulling my hair out with this one and HP chat and tech support has been of little help in figuring this out. The XP machines including the offending Sony are updated to SP-2 and all the computers network together perfectly. If there was going to be a problem I would have expected the 98SE desktop to be the problem but it loaded and functions just fine. Is there something I'm missing that may conflict with bidirectional communication over a network port? I love the printer on the machines that work but I really want to use it on the Sony PCG-R505EL notebook fully enabled. Thanks in advance John

Reply to
1BoatGuy
Loading thread data ...

If you have installed the driver, then in the printer properties, ports tab, select the port being used and select the bi-directional option. Most HP printers do not need all that HP management software since the settings are accessible in the printer properties anyway. Do you see the printer OK in Network Neighborhood?

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

This one sets up differently than you would expect. It is used by up to 5 pc's on a network (I'm not sure what limits it to 5) but it is not a "network" printer per se. You set it up not to be shared and it is configured as a local printer not a network printer on each pc. It doesn't show in "network neighborhood" like you would expect because it is not shared. It shows up in your printers and fax menu on each pc. What seems a little odd is that although it will work with wpa - tkip it doesn't have an easy way to configure it that way. This is probably due to the driver and setup routines being written prior to SP-2 and that upgrade to wpa encryption over wep. I'm thinking it is a software compatibility issue now with all the bs preinstalled on the Sony Vaio. I was trolling to see if anyone else had issues with the install software and I am finding very few people that own this printer. I think it's pretty neat and am a little surprised there aren't more of them out there yet.

Reply to
1BoatGuy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.