Help - Can't connect to password-protected home network

I have an R40 with XP Pro w/SP2. I use it at several wireless locations and everything works OK. However, when I try to use it at my son's house I cannot connect to his password-protected network. I can find no place to enter the password!

The R40 is using the ThinkVantage Access Connection software. Obviously, I am doing something wrong but I can't figure out WHAT!

I have checked the "use Windows to connect to wireless network" (?) box but that didn't help.

Should I disable ThinkVantage? If so, how do I do it?

TIA

Chuck

Reply to
jurgens
Loading thread data ...

Hi Could be that checking the box is not working right. Make sure that Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) is actually running, and that the vendor's Wireless Utility stopped.

formatting link
(MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

In addition to what Jack said, perhaps your son's wireless network is using a higher level of encryption (WPA2-PSK for example) than your wireless adapter (hardware) can handle. How old is your R40?

Malke

Reply to
Malke

If it shows in Control Panel > Network Connections: right-click on it > Properties >

Wireless Networks > Select it in Preferred Networks > Properties > Association and enter the authentication, encryption, key

Reply to
Mark

in looking at the wireless connections, you need to find the place - in XP or via your custom Access manager to define the SSID and the connection security type - WEP, WPA, etc That is where you enter the "key" to access your son's network. It's a connection "key" vs entering a password like you were logging onto something.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.