Has anyone tried "fixing" a WRT54G v.3...

that doesn't "rout" anymore? (Good signal output, but no internet) Thanks all.

---AVG Certified Virus-Free---

Reply to
tom
Loading thread data ...

"tom" hath wroth:

Yes, I've tried fixing a WRT54Gv3. Well, actually it was a v3.1. I succeeded by punching the reset button and starting over with the settings. Does that help?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, Jeff...I've done all of the obvious things, including factory reset. I'm just getting real sick of replacing this router every year or so...(sigh)

Reply to
tom

"tom" hath wroth:

Then try the non-obvious things. The usual goof is to not hold down the reset button for 30 seconds continuously. After 30 seconds of holding down the button, let go. Then wait at least another 30 seconds for the processor to do something or other. You can tell that it's done when the front panel light show stops. Wait a bit longer and then unplug the power. Wait about 10 seconds, plug the power back in, wait until it boots, and try it with the default IP (192.168.1.1) and default password (admin). This may sound like a bit of an ordeal but it's guaranteed to work by avoiding some of the possible complications.

I also had one local person send me their allegedly dead WRT54G for repair. The wall wart had obviously overheated and was belching 6VDC with about 2VAC on top of it. It would light up but hang almost immediately. Check the wall wart with a volts-guesser.

Lots of other things to go wrong. I've seen bent pins in the ethernet (RJ-45) jacks, creative wiring, reloading bad saved settings after a firmware update, and trashed flash RAM.

If this is a regular occurrence, I suggest you someone with a clue do a detailed autopsy on the carcass to determine the cause of the problem. I had one customer blow up all kinds of network hardware because their do-it-thyself PoE injector managed to sometimes go insane.

Incidentally, "does not route" is far to vague to offer much of a suggestion. If you can see the web configuration interface, it's unlikely that there's something blown. Verify that you have the latest firmware, setup the router from scratch, and try again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"tom" hath wroth:

It will probably be fine now. I've had a few weird things happen in the last few years, where a normally working router just decides to play dead. 2 weeks ago, I had a Buffalo WHR-G54S suddenly become inaccessible. No web page, no traffic, no wireless, no nothing. Punch the reset, reload the saved settings, and it's back. No clue exactly what happened but my guess is that the router settings were trashed by something.

Sounds much like what I had happen. Different router, but same chipset.

BEFW11S4? Why would you want to do something like that? The v2 version tends to loose its settings. The v4 version tends to hang without provocation. Both fail various router exploits tests. It only does 802.11b, not 802.11g. It's worth a try, but even working, it's not a very good wireless router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.