Good PCI Wireless LAN for HP PC?

All: Does anyone know of a good PCI Wireless LAN adapter card that could fit into my HP PC?

Reply to
Keith D. Lee
Loading thread data ...

Model number of your mystery HP PC? Desktop, laptop, netbook, PDA, or what? How good? (802.11g, MIMO, single or dual band, etc)?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am not sure about the model number; but, it is an HP desktop. I am not sure how good I want this HP Wireless LAN card to be; but, as long as it discovers the router in the next room, I guess it should be OK.

Sincerely, Keith D. Lee

Reply to
Keith D. Lee

how good I want this HP

room, I guess it should be OK.

Since you have what is probably a strong signal to work with, it would probably be easier to use a USB wireless adapter than an internal card. This has the advantage of not picking up noise from the motherboard, and potentially a better location for the antenna (instead of in the middle of a tangle of wired behind the computer.

I don't have any USB favorites. but I suggest you get one with an external antenna connector, probably via eBay or Amazon. Something like this:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That looks cool, and cheap.I have a couple the range expanders, great for notebooks. I have bought one real tech card for pc, and it does not work. I think the transmitter is broke.

I have not switched to N.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

why PCI - just get a WiFi plugin for the USB port - unless it doesn't have USB ?

the bigger issue will be what OS are you running - and therefore the drivers ?

Reply to
ps56k

how good I want this HP

room, I guess it should be OK.

I got an immediate : "'Application Layer Gateway Service' from your computer wants to connect to 211.154.151.147, port 21" from my firewall

From that address. Never happened before, while browsing. Any ideas ? []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Your adapter phoning home?

211.154.128.0 - 211.154.159.255 netname: ChinaMotion country: CN descr: China Motion Network Communication descr: 9F,Yu Hua Industrial & Trading Building,Bao Gang Rd. descr: Luo Hu District,Shenzhen, Guangdong Province
Reply to
Chris S.

Your browser has been hijacked. Port 21 is FTP. Something on your computer is trying to send your saved passwords, or keylogger capture file to China.

Assuming Windoze, look in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Download, install, and run Malwarebytes (free version). Do the quick scan. If you have another virus scanner, use it assuming it's still working.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've done all that. Kaspersky iso boot=clean, Avira iso boot =clean, Avast (from linux) = clean, Mbam = clean. My firewall still screeches with that one page, but not any other ebay pages. So I disabled the alg.exe service and deleted the executables (the backup too), even though virustotal showed nothing. I'll wait for a new def file to delete the maybe trojan. Tnx []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Sigh. Look a the page source code. Buried among the images is: (blah-blah-blah)

Note that the ftp is for a download, not an upload. The person that scribbled this web page used ftp instead http to download the images onto the page. There's no upload, so there's nothing to worry about.

The original message is vague in that it doesn't bother to mention if the ftp is upload or download. You might want to email some nasty comments to your firewall vendor.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry about that. If I had some sleep I probably would have got there, eventually. I'm rather fond of my firewall .... saved me from trojans twice. Not the firewall's fault, was a classical PBKAC. Tnx once again. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.