Frequent disconnects from router issue

Hi all...looking for some advice.

I just switched my network from WEP to WPA-PSK TKIP, I am frequently getting disconnected from my network. I sometimes have difficulty connecting when I boot also, gives me "limited connectivity" message. It's not my computer, as it connects to other networks with no problem. Varying frequency, anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes.

I checked the event viewer, and this message comes up whenever I get disconnected:

Event Type: Information Event Source: BROWSER Event Category: None Event ID: 8033 Date: 7/21/2007 Time: 3:46:55 PM User: N/A Computer: Laptop Description: The browser has forced an election on network \\Device \\NetBT_Tcpip_{ED352E88-9C4G-408E-A5EF-F069EAF8C4E7} because a master browser was stopped.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

formatting link
Usually, I can connect at 54 Mbps with Excellent signal, but sometimes it drops down to 2.0 Mbps. Any thoughts? Running XP SP2 with in Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG. Maybe it's a setting on the WPA-PSK in the router?

Reply to
jtravisc
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Buy low, sell high.

What router are you using? Maker, model, hardware versions, and firmware version. While you're at it, what operating system on your laptop?

Any obvious sources of interference? See list at:

Try changing channels (1, 6, or 11) and see if that helps.

The default WPA-PSK refresh interval is 3600 seconds or 1 hour. This is nowhere near your 2 minute interval, so it's not a re-key problem.

Are you actually getting a useable connection for the first 2 minutes? I got a suspicion that your have the wrong WPA-PSK key and that it's taking a long time for the OS to announce the lack of a connection.

Yes, but that's event probably happens AFTER you get disconnected. What it basically says is that the client cannot reach whichever machine on your network is playing master browser. Try it again, but this time get the exact time of the disconnect. Then lookup the message in the event viewer.

Bingo. The Intel 2200BG had a problem with the Proset driver where it would go down to 1Mbit/sec in the presence of interference and stay there. Check for firmware, driver, and client manager updates for:

1. Your unspecified model wireless router (probably the culprit).
  2. Proset for your 2200BG:
  3. Windoze updates (which may include Wireless Zero Config updates).
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I updated my intel drivers/software...been using it a couple of hours with no problems. I can't believe that was the problem, and moreso that I didn't try it. I was convinced it was a router issue...anyway, thanks a lot for the help...

Cheers!

Reply to
jtravisc

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Cool. One of the problems with using Intel cards is that the automagic update mechanism via Microsoft Update doesn't really work well. Some of the Intel drivers from MS are really ancient. In addition, the various manufacturers of laptops don't seem to put the latest Intel stuff on their download sites. Dell and Gateway are particularly tardy. It's particularly important because the various Centrino mutations still do much of their magic in software, not hardware.

I'm not sure why the delay. It might be that the manufacturers don't trust Intel and want to test any new drivers they put on their download sites. Dunno. Meanwhile, I've found it best to get the Proset drivers directly from the Intel web pile.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.