Force wireless connections by MAC addresses?

Hello.

I recently read about how there are public WAPs/hotspots out that can be dangerous as dummy/fake ones (evil twins). Are there ways to connect to the correct WAP based on MAC address?

I recently saw two WAPs that had the same SSIDs, but with different MAC addresses:

00-0C... 00-0F...

One of them goes up and down, and I am assuming that is the evil twin and could be dangerous to be on (don't want to take the risk). In my Envara Configuration Utility v2.5.1 (3/18/2004) in XP Pro. SP1-SP2 (all updates) with a Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter Model: HWU54D), I cannot seem to force connecting to one. I believe it gets confused because there are two exact SSID names seen.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

Ralink card? How did you find that out? I thought it was using WiND chipset?

formatting link
takes me to Intel's Web site.

Maybe. I cannot confirm it and I am not taking any chances.

Where can I get it assuming it is supported. Envara Utility doesn't have this feature. :( I got the driver and software from

formatting link

Reply to
ANTant

I have that hawking tech card, its actually a ralink card. I have two AP's on one LAN with same ssid's and same encryption's, different channels, different MAC's. Of course when I am near one it has great signal while the far one is somewhat weaker and variable. Maybe somebody's hacked it and made it a man in the middle, evil twin,, ya think ?

The raylink utility has check box to allow fast roaming at any level signal [-70 default] dbm, but it'll choose best signal at windows start up.

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.