Wireless bridge: duplicate MAC addresses ?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to connect 2 offices with 2 Senao ECB3220 devices. 1 device functions as Access Point, the other one as Bridge. Both devices are connected to 3com switches. Both devices are in the 192.168.1.x subnet. On the bridge side, there's also a router which connects the

192.168.2.x network, so each building has its own subnet.

Now, when the 2 devices connect, al lot of machines in the 192.168.1.x subnet receive ip conflict messages (event id 4199) which indicates a duplicate MAC address.

What is happening here ?

Reply to
RLM
Loading thread data ...

Are you sure there isn't a network loop? That would be my guess.

Are they showing duplicate MAC's for their MAC, or for a specific MAC?

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

They are all showing the MAC address of the bridge.

I'm sure there's no loop.

Thanks!

Reply to
RLM

RLM wrote in news:slrneljjip.1sks.redlob+ snipped-for-privacy@xs2.xsall.nl:

......indicates a duplicate IP address.

When you say a 'a lot of machines in the 192.168.1.x subnet receive ip conflict messages', does this mean that each machine receiving this message has a conflict, OR, is this a broadcast message sent behind the scenes using WindowsMessenger service ? You know 'net send * BOOO!'.

If you know the MAC address listed in the conflict is the client bridge, then change it's IP address to something else, static, to see if the problem goes away. OR Check DHCP scopes. The bridge may be static and whatever you have doing DHCP hands out that address.

How does the router come into play ? You say (about the wireless) they are both connected to 3Com switches. Then you throw in a router, and two separate subnets at the buildings.

Regards,

DanS

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.