Fast forward/rewind/seek with D-Link, Hauppauge

While I had some success with it, I finally gave up on my Hauppauge MediaMVP when they were unwilling to provide fast forward/rewind/seek when playing music files.

I then bought a D-Link MediaLounge DSM-320, a far better device, and while they at least offer fast forward/rewind/seek, it has serious problems including crashing the software.

I have a hard time believing that the reviewers of these devices could have missed such a basic feature. Who would buy an MP3 player if you couldn't skip over part of a song you didn't like, or go back to hear a section you missed? Let alone if it's a one hour documentary.

Hauppauge's response seemed to be that this was not a priority for them. D-Link says they are aware of the problem and to wait for the next update, but the last update was about a year ago and they have no indication of timing.

Am I really the only one that uses this capability?

Les

========================================= Why Buy Checks Anywhere Else?

Most orders ship in 1 day > Save 25% - 75% > Premium quality, loaded with security features

ASAP Checks, Forms & Supplies

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@asapchecks.com (888) 85-CHECK

Reply to
lcc
Loading thread data ...

Don't expect any updates from DLink and if they do give you an update then don't be surprised if it makes things worse - the DSM-320 is /that/ bad. I still have one for watching videos but I have had MUCH better success using the TVersity server rather than the DLink one - they are worlds apart and the TVersity one is free. TVersity does have a problem with Vista for quite a few users which the developers seem to be ignoring though. Some Vista users have no probelm:

formatting link

If it's music only you're after then I'd recommend a Squeezebox - they're very good:

formatting link

HTH

Reply to
elziko

formatting link

According to the UK site it has been discontinued.

perhaps not many people liked it. Only firmware seems to be here:- ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Medialounge/DSM320

Reply to
kev

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.