External writeless connected to ethernet?

Hi All,

I have an industrial computer for controlling assembly line equipment. It is basically XP in a metal box. It has a USB 1.0 and an Ethernet port.

I have not had the best of luck hooking up external USB wireless adapters to USB 1.0 ports. Is there an external wireless adapter that will hook to my Ethernet port? (I have seen a lot of AP's with an Ethernet port, but I am presuming that they can not be used as a network adapter.)

Many thanks,

--Tony

Reply to
Tony
Loading thread data ...

The usr 5430 does not support WPA2 (802.11i) yet. :-( (They said "soon", but ...)

Reply to
Tony

hi, yes you can do this no problem, it will just cost you a bit more.

you can use a US Robotics 'Gaming adapter' which is just a Wireless Client with ethernet input.

you will also find a few APs that have a 'client' function.

formatting link
they do one (its got 'new' in flashing letters next to it!) , but dont buy it! my one is going back!

Reply to
ad

Just a follow up. I discovered (actually, it was my wife), that the 5430 now has a GPL beta firmware posted at

formatting link
I think I will give it a try.

Reading further on this card. [When WPA2 is finalized] this card will be ideal for all old computers with no USB Ports or USB 1.0 ports and an available Ethernet port. Saved the hassle of paying for an expensive WPA2 driver from Odyssey, etc..

--Tony

Reply to
Tony

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.