Enabling Security for Wireless Router

I have a Linksys wireless router, which has a built in firewall. In addition, I have firewall software on my laptop.

When my wireless router was installed, they didn't take the time to enable security, so I guess someone can be outside my house and get into my internet connection. I assume they cannot get into my computer due to the firewall.

Is it highly recommended that I have someone enable the security for the router? Once that is done, since I have 3 computers in the house using the router, what would be required to log into the router? Would a password be necessary the first time, or every day?

What are the possible consequences of not enabling security, other than possibly someone using my internet connection?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Les
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:34:22 GMT, "Les" wrote in :

That's a risky assumption. You're not protected by your router, only your firewall software. Your router is vulnerable unless a strong password has been set.

Yes. Use WPA, not WEP.

Just once.

Identity theft. Crashed computers. Getting blamed for unlawful activities.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.