Doh

I think I've bought the wrong piece of kit which is actually it's not unusual for me :-)

I have Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router (WRT54GS) connected to my main pc and cable modem. I have two family wireless laptops which connect to the router.

The router is in the corner at the front of the house and because it doesn't transmit too well through a couple of solid walls and a conservatory I wanted to extend the range.

First of all I bought a Hawking Hi-Gain Omni-Directional Antenna which does make a difference but the signal was still dropping out in the garden.

I spoke to a colleague who told me I needed a wireless access point to extend the signal so I bought a Linksys Wireless G Access Point (WAP54G).

After struggling with it for a couple of hours I realised that what this actually does is make a wired network wireless not extend a wireless network.

Three questions:

1. Can it be used for what I need - i.e. extend the range of my wireless network?

1. If it can't - what exactly do I need?

2. What's the address of Ebay again :-) I feel a bargain coming for someone.

Many thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Scooby
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:52:10 GMT, "Scooby" wrote in :

Yes, if connected to your router by *wire* (Ethernet, powerline networking, phoneline networking, coax networking). It's the preferred way to extend wireless coverage. You normally want the *same* _unique to you_ SSID, but a *different* minimally-overlapping channel (1, 6, or

11).

Or you could also locate the access point near the router, using directional antennas on each one to cover different directions better than the high-gain omni. Again, same SSID and different channels.

The least desirable solution is to use a wireless repeater (WDS) instead of a wired access point, because that cuts the wireless speed in half.

Reply to
John Navas

That's excellent, thanks very much for that John.

Follow on question - is there a maximum operational length for an ethernet operating cable (I am hoping for around 20ft)?

Steve

Reply to
Scooby

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:48:01 GMT, "Scooby" wrote in :

CAT5 Ethernet is good for at least 100 meters (328 feet).

Reply to
John Navas

LOL. I believe Jeff claims success for cat5e cable up to 1000'. In any case, far more than you need :-)

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Thanks again John

Reply to
Scooby

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.