DNS and Netgear WG602 v2

I have just installed a netgear wg602 v2 access point. I have it in my office. The network settings for my office include dns server addresses.

The access point is fired up and ready. I can access it to change settings and have the IP, subnet mask and default gateway set correctly. But there is no place to put the numbers for dns.

The access point isn't allowing me to access the internet or the rest of my network.

Here is my question: Must I use the dns server in order to use the access point? If not, what do I need to do to make it work?

One more thing, I had a dlink 900ap+ which worked perfectly but it had a place for the dns. I changed because my office wanted faster wireless speeds.

Any assitance is appreciated.

Karl

Reply to
youthminman
Loading thread data ...

No DNS required. An access point is a bridge which works at Layer 2 (MAC addresses) and knows nothing about dealing with IP addresses. The IP address configuration for the WG602v2 is strictly for access to the internal web server for configuration and has NOTHING to do with connectivity.

You need to disclose a good description of what else is in the system and what you have to work with.

Think of an access point and client radio as just an ethernet extension cord. You should try to plug your computah directly into your unspecified router with a wired CAT5 cable and see what happens. If it works, there's something wrong with your configuration. Try TEMPORARILY disabling encryption (WEP or WPA). Verify that your computah has a valid IP address with: IPCONFIG If it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, you're doing something wrong. Since this is a replacement for just the access point, the unspecified router was probably un-touched and should be working with a wired connection. On the other foot, if you've been playing with the router settings, put things back the way they were.

The DWL-900AP+ is a good access point. However, if you're juggling access points between the DWL-900AP+ and WG602v2, then you might be getting your client computah confused. One at a time please. If you juggled access points, you'll also need to power cycle your unspecified router to get it to recognize the new MAC address. Might was well power cycle everything just to be sure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.