Small RADIUS Server?

I've been wanting to play with RADIUS, but motivation today quickly led to the discovery that is not going to happen short of dragging an old P2 out of the basement, finding a NIC somewhere, and hoping for the best with FreeRADIUS.

The manufacturers should market small, dedicated, RADIUS server hardware. Something like D-Link's DWL-2210AP, but dedicated to RADIUS only, without the rest of the BS in the DWL-2210AP such as the radios. Probably could even be small enough that it could just be a "module" that you simply stick into one of your router or AP's LAN ports, give it an IP, and then simply point the router or AP's in it's direction. The thing probably could be sold for like $50. (DWL-2210AP is $250, with built-in RADIUS server and radios.)

...but I guess that would make sense, so I'll be dragging an old computer up from the basement..

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

....Oh, obviously, I didn't mean for corporate RADIUS with thousands of users, but for just simple home and small office BS. (Able to handle a dozen "clients" or so.)

Reply to
Eric

If you have the WRT54G/GS, see tinyPEAP . Also the builtin PEAP server in the ZyXEL G-2000 Plus

or

Reply to
John Navas

So use tinypeap on a WRT54G!

Reply to
David Taylor

I found a few more that have built in RADIUS servers. Intermec WA21 and WA22 MobileLAN access points. |

formatting link
|
formatting link
are a bit high for consumer use. |
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah, it has a lot to do with their using open-source Linux, and having to give their code back to the development community (and vice versa). Too bad the WRT54G V5 is going to a closed OS with no aftermarket firmware possibilities.

"It's my nose, and I can cut it off if I want to, so there!"

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

(This is a combined reply to all.)

Hi,

Thanks for replies! This "tinyPEAP" does look very cool.

Wow, these Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS routers seem to be very "mod-able". I remember a while back, while looking for a captive portal (ended up using "ZoneCD"), looking at such a flash mod for the WRT54G.

I think my main router (an older 802.11a/b D-Link DI-764, still working great at 3 years) is going to get replaced with a WRT54GS. :^)

I just saw this "tinyPEAP" right now, so haven't even read the docs yet. If it works for a connection occuring anywhere on the network (and not just to the WRT54GS's radio), then I'm definetly getting it. I'll have one of my DWL-7100AP's plugged into one of the WRT54GS's LAN ports as all my LAN stuff is D-Link 802.11a and will need to go through the 7100AP. Probably will even just turn the WRT54GS's radios off completetly. Did a quick google to see other Linksys router-only stuff that is "mod-able", but then looked at the price of the WRT54GS. The WRT54GS is freaking cheap!

Thanks for the pointer towards this WRT54GS and "tinyPEAP". It looks like it will be the next toy. (Going to read about the other hardware mentioned in this thread as well.)

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

No kidding. Considering that most reviews I've read seem to think other hardware is superior, only the fact that we can hack the software makes the Linksys equipment so attractive. Of course, if they're not careful, they'll end up with worse software and _nobody_ will want their systems.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Hi,

Thanks for that heads up. I'm planning to pick up '54GS this weekend and wasn't aware of that, which could've led to getting a V5.

From a google:

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.