DLINK 2100AP extreme G

Have you upgraded the firmware to version 2.0?

formatting link
Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru
Loading thread data ...

I have two DWL-7100AP's here that I've wrestled with. The DWL-7100AP is very similiar to your DWL-2100AP, except that it supports both 802.11a and

802.11g/b. On DLink's website, you'll see the two frequently grouped together in the knowledge base.

I'm using one DWL-7100AP as an AP and the other as it's repeater.

I didn't experience any rebooting, but did experience quite a few problems with the 802.11g band -- especially in the "802.11g turbo modes". The adapter I was using it with was a D-Link adapter, capable of 802.11g turbo. My main issue was many lost frames due to FCS/CRC errors. It was as if packets were being mutated in flight by interference, except there wasn't any interference. 802.11a performed rock solid in turbo. Strangely -- this only occured with certain firmware versions. This was without going through a repeater and everything was configured correctly. Same results with both AP's. There was no other 2.4 Ghz from anything else in the air at the time either. This led to the first call I ever made to a technical support number for a piece of hardware, and well you know how that goes with D-Link -- the first several times you get connected to some kid in India with a flow chart asking if the hardware is powered up. Eventually, I was passed up a few rings on the "tech support ladder" and finally was matched with someone with a great deal of knowledge. After about an hour of troubleshooting together, he concluded that it was, in fact, a firmware issue.

I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, but just throwing this out that there is, in fact, a firmware issue with the DWL-7100AP in regards to turbo'd 802.11g. I just looked at the "emulator" for the DWL-2100AP on DLink's website (very similiar to the DWL-7100AP) and noticed the option for "802.11g Only" under Advanced/Performance. If you haven't already, might want to try the turbo modes with that enabled. Unfortunetly, thats the only thing I can think off. :/

Oh, regarding DLink technical support again, I was told by half of them that the DWL-7100AP couldn't simultanteously repeat 802.11a and 802.11g, or repeat 802.11a and bridge wireless/ethernet bridge 802.11g. The other half said it could. Well, its sitting on a desk right now doing exactly that.

Overall, I've been very happy with DLink products -- as long as you don't have to contact tech support.. :^)

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi,

I've currently setup for the DLink DWL-2100AP extremeG with the DLINK DWL-G650 extremeG pcmcia cards.

In standard 54Mbs mode the connection is fantastic. When i enable the turbo setting to get the 108Mbs speed the access point reboots every 1-2 minutes. No matter whether i enable turbo mode in static or dynamic mode.

I have already changed the access point with a new one and it does exactly the same thing. Anyone have similar problems or know what could be causing this?

DLink tech support was hopeless. It would help if the support person actually knew what the product did!?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
itsallgood

Sorry I gave you the US Link. I was unaware you were using the european version. I have not seen this problem happen on the US version.

Reply to
DLink Guru

Yes, I've updated to the latest firmware

formatting link
no change at all.

Reply to
itsallgood

I'm pretty sure that this issue is firmware related. Only problem is there isn't a new revision to fix this yet. A level 2 Dlink support person has actually called me and it seems as though he's actually used wireless at one stage although still lacked some support knowledge.

He informed me that the Dlink R&D team are now aware of a problem like this occuring and hopefully an updated firmware release will fix the problem. I'm not too conifident on this though as I've found forums going back 8 months where the problem is still occuring.

As for the "802.11g Only" mode, I haven't tired that yet. I'm not sure if that option is in the firmware but ill have a look and try it out.

Unfortunetly,

Reply to
itsallgood

Get rid of the DWL-G650 and buy the Netgear WG511T. It works flawlessly with the DWL-2100AP, has great range and yes, it does attain the 108mbps speeds. The utility that comes with the WG511T is excellent. Furthermore, with the WG511T and the DWL-2100AP you can use WPA-PSK (both TKIP and AES cipher). As for your current situation, logon to your APs menu and click on the ADVANCED tab then click on the PERFORMANCE tab. While on the PERFORMANCE tab, ake sure the channel is on 6 and that 802.11g ONLY mode is enabled. By the way, Super G with Dynamic Turbo mode is recommended. Take care.

Reply to
bishiv6AT

Will check the settings to what you have below and see how i go.

Otherwise the Netgear WG511T may need to be purchased.

Thanks,

Reply to
ItsAllGood

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if our AP's share both quite a bit of common hardware and code in the firmware. Since they have acknowledged this firmware issue in both AP's, hopefully they will get a fix out sooner than later. (Keeping fingers crossed.) The rebooting issue with your AP is definetly something that they should address ASAP.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.