Diversity

I understand "diversity" is related to the received signal, not the transmitted signal.

If true, would say a WAP11 "remember" which antenna to use for each IP address?

My intentions - Using two directional antennas on AP with two clients using directional antennas at less than 2 miles from AP.

thanks

Reply to
nothere
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I understand "diversity" is related to the received signal, not the :transmitted signal.

:If true, would say a WAP11 "remember" which antenna to use for each IP :address?

The antenna used to receive can vary from packet to packet, since the time of reception and the signal strength at any one antenna can change noticably with changes at what humans would consider quite small scales. (A half-wave change is only about 2 1/2 " at 2.4 GHz.) For example, you might shift your chair back a few inches and that could affect which antenna was best. And if you happen to be near a window near a road, the strongest bounce signal might come off a passing lorry (metal) instead of off the wall (e.g., wood tends to absorb that frequency instead of reflecting it.)

:My intentions - Using two directional antennas on AP with two clients :using directional antennas at less than 2 miles from AP.

I'd say you should go for a dual-radio AP with dual antenna sets. Otherwise, your collision domain becomes up to 4 miles in diameter. If A and B both transmit at the same time, then with a diversity antenna setup, the signals are going to hit both antenna and the AP will only be able to accept one of the packets at a time. To avoid this problem, you either need the radio equivilent of "token ring", or the two remote sites have to be able to hear each other so that they can negotiate collision control.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
Airhead

Another thought is to vertical polorize one antenna and horizontal the other

clients

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.