Base >> repeater >> client

"Tor Tveitane" wrote: >Hi,

Do you mean the repeater is 3kms from the house and then the clients are another 3kms farther?

The problem is that 3kms is a fair distance to cover, and will almost certainly require external high gain (directional) antennas. From the house to the repeater site is not a problem, with say a pair of WRT54GS units, assuming you have line of sight and use good antennas.

From the repeater site to the "few clients" is going to depend on factors you haven't stated. Are they all located in one direction, or are they spread out? If, for example, they are all in one large building, or perhaps in one group of buildings, where an antenna with a 30 degree beam width will cover all of them equally, you can to it easily. But if they are spread out so that there is more than a 20 degree or so angle between the directions to them (from the repeater site), one antenna will not do the trick, and you'll need multiple wireless links.

Best case scenario would be a single AP at the house, no repeater site needed (line of sight to every client, and all of them bunched together in one location), and a single WRT54GS at each client location. In all cases high gain antennas will be required.

If there is no line of sight to the clients, and the repeater is necessary, the you'll need, at a minimum, a single AP at the house, a WRT54GS repeater, and a WRT54GS at each client location. Again, high gain antennas are required.

However, if the clients are not all grouped close together a different arrangement is necessary. Given that it also has other benefits and is not really all that expensive... you might want to consider this regardless of what else could be done.

Each WRT54GS has 4 ethernet ports, and it is therefore possible to use multiple back to back WRT54GS units at the repeater site, connected via the ethernet ports rather than as wireless repeaters. A network might look like this:

HOUSE REPEATER CLIENTS ___________ ________________________ ___________ / \ / \ / \ 3km 3km wireless link wireless links +---------+ +---------+ +---------+ +---------+ | base | | repeater| | repeater| | client 1| | WRT54GS |~~~~~~~| WRT54GS | | WRT54GS |~~~~~~~~~| WRT54GS | | | | | | | | | | WAN | | LAN | | WAN | | | +---------+ +---------+ +---------+ +---------+ | | | | | | to ISP | | | +---------+ | | | +---------+ +---------+ | | | | repeater| | client 2| | | | | WRT54GS |~~~~~~~~~| WRT54GS | | | | | | | | | | | | WAN | | | | | | +---------+ +---------+ | | | | | | +-----------+ | | To 2 Other Client Links

That particular configuration would work for four client links, but it could also be done by chaining each "repeater" to the LAN of another, thus providing for more than 4 clients.

Also note that if any two client locations are located close enough, they can share a repeater site WRT54GS.

Yes. However, that may not work as well as expected. You will need directional antennas, hence the signal quality at the client location is not going to be all that good. You can make if work by using a high gain antenna on one of the two antenna connections, and leaving the omni directional antenna on the other. However there will be problems with poor throughput when a wireless client connects and uses the Internet, because the WRT54GS will be switching back and forth between the antennas, and will often be on the wrong antenna and lose a packet when it is. That will just slow things down though, and it will still be useful.

I would suggest that WRT54G units rather than WRT54GS units might be a worthwhile cost savings. In either case the wireless throughput is probably going to exceed the total bandwidth available to your ISP, hence whatever benefit you get from the WRT54GS will be unusable when connecting to the Internet.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson
Loading thread data ...

That makes it significantly less complicated, and less expensive.

You could indeed put an AP at the repeater site, and use a client at the house. It isn't really a "repeater" then... Since that was the terminology used I was assuming either an existing AP, or a use for an AP, at the house. But if not, there is no real need to have one. Of course a WRT54G is about as inexpensive as anything, and can be used as an AP, a repeater, or a client, so regardless of what you call it I'm assuming it would be a WRT54G. (As noted previously, there isn't any advantage to a WRT54GS in this application.)

Moot point, as you apparently don't need more than one pair anyway!

That apparently could be done, but it probably wouldn't work very well due to the need to switch between the antennas. One WRT54G would work well *if* it has an omni-directional antenna. It is possible that a 7 dBi omni at the repeater site and a 24 dBi grid at the client would work; but a more conservative approach would be to use two WRT54G units that are connected via the ethernet ports. One WRT54G for each direction.

I'm not sure just how much difference there would be, but since a WDS repeater cuts the throughput in half, it is almost certain that a back to back pair would be significantly faster.

However... I'm not sure that makes any difference at all, because your wireless network is going to be faster than your Internet connection by a significant margin. Assuming all traffic will be to the Internet (i.e., none of the clients will be sending traffic to each other), the bottleneck will not be the wireless throughput, even if you cut it in half again.

Definitely.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Hi,

I plane to establish a wireless link of 3kms from a house with good internet connection to a repeater and then from the repeater to a few clients about

3kms away.

The WRT54GS can be used in bridge mode and with sveasoft firmware the radio output can be boosted significantly. However does it also exist good (and budget) devices with strong radio (TX/RX) for the repeater so I don't need two WRT54GS at the repeater site.

If I use such a repeater device both for my repeater station and at each client site then they will also have wireless LAN inside their house.

Tips on quality devices in the genre are welcome

best regards

Tor

Reply to
Tor Tveitane

This sounds like the relay described at

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Yes, house > repeater = 3kms and repeater >> clients = 3kms

OK so

They are all in one direction, a 9 degree 24 dBi grid will do nicely.

Sorry no line of sight (this is in a bending valley)

Why do we an AP at the house? Would it be more appropriate at the repeater site where different clients are to be connected wirelessly?

I understand but given the cost of good antennas, lightning protection, pigtails and cables this might become a bit too expensive.

You mention only *one* WRT54GS at the repeater site. Does this mean that I can connect both antennas to only one box and it will be able to shuffle everything to and from alone??

Would there be any speed benefit if using two WRT54GS (one towards the house and the second towards the clients)?

Would theWRTG54GS pointing towards the clients at the repeater site be able to handle multiple connections (albeit less than 10 at a time...)?

Thanks for comments on this

best regards

Tor

Reply to
Tor Tveitane

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.