Dell 1370 won't talk to WRT54G

Our aging WRT54G has been used to share a cable modem here for several years without problems. Security is minimal - 128-bit WEP, no authentication as some of the older wireless cards don't support it.

My sister-in-law just bought a Dell laptop which comes with an internal Dell 1370 card. It can be configured using either the XP Wireless Zero or by the Dell WLAN utility; the Dell utility is in control of which utility "owns" the connection. I've tried both.

I tried to set up the 1370 using the same parameters that have worked countless other times. Enter the WEP key as 26 hex characters, be sure authentication is set to "OPEN". The Dell sees the router and that it is encrypted, but it can't connect to it. Signal strength is not an issue.

I've tried entering both the 26 hex and the 5-character ASCII "key generator" versions of the WEP key, into both the Dell Utility and Windows Wireless Zero (not at the same time, actually). It never works.

Worse, the router shuts down the wireless any time an access is attempted using the wrong key, so each and every failed attempt (even rebooting the machine without disabling the WLAN radio) requires a reset of the router. That's how I "know" the Dell is trying to communicate, by the way.

Everything else on the wireless in this house continues to work normally (until, of course, the router gets glitched by the Dell).

Are these just incompatible? Any suggestions?

Reply to
Mike S.
Loading thread data ...

I haven't used the 1370, though I ran the 1370 drivers on a Dell 1180 mini-pci card with no problems. Doesn't seem that the attempt to connect should crash the router.

I have a wrt54gs (and a wrt54g at work) running dd-wrt v23 drivers which works very well. Have you thought about using alternate firmware on the router?

Reply to
Jerry Park

The firmware on the router is ancient, and we've taken the "if it works, don't mess with it approach" but I think maybe you're right.

The router doesn't crash, but definitely locks out all internet access for about 30 minutes after any failed WEP connection.

A neighbor of ours has an unsecured router that shows up on a site survey. If I choose that one on the Dell, the 1370 connects with it just fine ... so it looks like the hardware is OK.

Reply to
Mike S.

Check the router setup: is there a limit set for number of DHCP connections, is there MAC address filtering enabled? It is possible that the TCP/IP properties in the 1370 are munged. Open TCP/IP properties, Advanced button, TCP/IP filtering and verify that all ports and protocols are set to Permit All. Lastly, the TCP/IP stack could be corrupt. Google for winsockxpfix.exe and run to repair the stack.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks for the suggestions. The limit of DHCP connections is 50; there are 5 in use. MAC filtering is not enabled. I will check the TCP/IP filtering when she returns from work with the laptop. A corrupt TCP/IP stack on a fresh-from-the-box new Dell machine is pretty unlikely, wouldn't you agree?

Reply to
Mike S.

No. I have experienced fatal TCP/IP stack problems on new NIC installations and with new, out of the box computers. I have no idea why this occurs, but it does.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Follow-up: in the interim I had thrown a WET11 wireless bridge on her ethernet port so she could use the network until I had time to troubleshoot. I looked at the WRT54G and the firmware was V1.4.2 which is ancient compared to the V4.2.x rev the current hardware is running. After a firmware update the router now connects to the Dell 1370 using the same settings that failed before.

Reply to
Mike S.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.