connecting to a particular wireless router by command line ?

Sure. I do it all the time with telnet or SSH to Cisco 340/35/1200 wireless routers. Also Linksys WRT54G routers with Sveasoft alternative firmware can do telnet and SSH.

If you have an aversion to graphical web browsers, you might try using Lynx

formatting link
formatting link
one of the other text based web browsers. I haven't tried this for quite a long time and have no clue how well it will work. There are other text based browsers but I'm too lazy to list them.

However, by "particular" I assume that you already own a wireless router and are embarrassed by the fact that you cannot connect to it from an MSDOS or Linux shell command line. Some disclosure of what you're tinkering with and what you're trying to accomplish would be helpful.

Incidentally, if you insist on putting your question on the subject line, please be advised that there are those that have news readers that truncate the subject line after about 20 characters and/or do not view the subject line while preparing the reply. If it's not too much trouble, you might want to repeat the question in the body of the message so I can see it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Not really, depends on how many routers share the same SSID.

Any clue on operating system or is this an OS agnostic question?

Reply to
David Taylor

I presumed he wanted a command to issue to connect as in make a wireless connection. Shows what happens when you have to make assumptions!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Assumption, the mother of all screwups.

Permit me to rant about the word "connect". It's about as ambiguous as they come and can mean at least 5 different things I can think of, and probably some more I haven't considered. Make that 6 ways as it might mean making a connection with the local drug dealer. "Connecting to... a ... wireless router" isn't very descriptive. For all I know, he might be trying to initiate a wireless link using the "wl" command:

formatting link
can be done but it's no fun.

Same litany as always:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with?
  3. What have you done so far?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I do like mysteries. He may also be tryin to connect:

1. To a network share without using Windoze as in: NET VIEW NET VIEW \\SERVER NET USE G: \\SERVER\SHARENAME DIR G:
  2. Connect via wireless using a DOS LANMAN client and the NDIS or ODI drivers. It's fairly easy to do with older cards (Orinoco classic) that have DOS installations.
    formatting link
  3. Same as #2 except using Linux.

However much I enjoy mysteries, I'll wait for clarification on this one.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Which is what I was thinking of

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.