connect a wired network to an Access Point wirelessly

Hi NG,

I've a wlan network installed in my home. The configuration looks like this:

--- wired ))) wireless

--- printer Internet --- ADSL modem --- D-Link DI-524 --- PC1 ))) Laptop

The DI-524 router is configured as Access Point (accepts multiple wireless connections) Now I have to connect wirelessly other two computers (one runs Linux); I have difficulties installing wlan on linux so I thought to wire both with a switch and then connect the switch wirelessly to the router (D-Link DI-524).

I've heard of two possibilities for solving my problem:

1) a wireless bridge which connects two wired networks (but in this case any other wireless connection is cut out, because there's no unit which acts as bridge and AP simultaneously)

2) a device which acts as wireless client (I noticed the D-Link DWL-G730AP) connected to the switch by wire and to the router/AP wirelessly.

But the perfect solution I figure out is to have a device like a switch which also acts as wireless client to connect to the router/AP. Is there something like that from D-Link (or also other brands)? I think it'd be better than solution 2 (only one device instead of switch+client).

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Reply to
rader
Loading thread data ...

sorry! formattation has been messed up in the little scheme

the router is connected to Internet through WAN port printer and PC1 are wired to the router Laptop connects wirelessly

Reply to
rader

The two routers need to be the same model and support WDS.

Maybe. Linux is funky about this stuff. You'd think once the G730 was configured as a client the Linux box would just see it as an Ethernet card, but that's not always true. In fact, I've never gotten any of them to work in Linux.

Something that acts like the G730 (like an Ethernet card that works in wireless mode) and can act as an AP for other computers at the same time? No.

By the way, not sure if you know this already, but all the G730 is really just an AP that is set to use WDS.

Reply to
JB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.