CompuUSA Wireless Router

"Mike Schumann" hath wroth:

Call the store. Ask them to read you the FCC ID number on the serial number tag. Then go unto:

formatting link
inscribe the FCC ID number into the grantee and product code boxes. That should bring up the relevent documents. If you slog through the test report, you can usually get a clue as to who made it. Also, the photos will show the chipset used.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

FMI. Read the rebate form PDF.

Reply to
markbsigler

Is it this one?

formatting link
Firmware updates from FMI are few and far between, FWIW...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Who makes the CompUSA 54 MBPS Wireless Router that is advertised in today's circular for $2.99?

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Call CompUSA

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Mike Schumann" hath wroth:

I know them well. It's one of these:

formatting link
clue which one. Maybe if you get the model number....?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's this one:

formatting link
Even the instruction manual is the same as CompUSA's, with different screen pictures.

Interestingly, the latest firmware on CompUSA's website is 1.40 and on Edimax's website, it's 1.37. My unit came with 1.35, so I upgraded it. It's a RealTek chipset, RTL8186 CPU, (different from the WRT54G and 16 MB RAM and 2 MB flash - I have no idea if any third party firmware would run on this thing) and they have the firmware sourcecode on the Edimax website.

I ran in to buy it, once I saw that the instruction manual said that it has QoS. I have an WRT54G -- but I wanted to pick this up for my brother, who uses VOIP too. So far, QoS tests haven't been working too well. I'll have to do more testing and maybe call support. (My WRT54G with DD-WRT QoS has no dropouts on phonecalls, with high bandwidth usage... this one does have dropouts).

If anyone gets QoS to work well, please let me know... I use the speedtest on

formatting link
, as I'm talking on a VOIP phone to another local phone in this house. The upload is the issue. You can hear delay/break-up on the landline, when I talk into the VOIP phone, when it's starting up the upload test. I have no problem with the WRT54G.

Also, there's no static DHCP in the router config. So as an alternative, you'd set an IP outside the range of the DHCP server, with settings on the connected device itself.

Besides that, the unit seems to work well, in the few hours I've had it up. I just want to learn all about setting up this router, before I go bring it to my brother's house next week.

Reply to
danr_18

The CompUSA manual doesn't include the entire Edimax manual - but the parts of the manual that CompUSA supplies seem to be the same.

Reply to
danr_18

I have my TA set as a static IP, outside of the DHCP range. I have Two QoS rules defined, one as Upload and the other Download.

Traffic Type None

I have 128 kbps Guarantee with Protocol UDP. The Local IP address, start of range, is the static IP set on the TA. No end of range. (If I put an end of range, it deleted it. Anyhow, the static IP is above the DHCP provided IPs).

1.40 firmware.

Yet, when I do a speakeasy upload test, I hear breakups of my voice on my PSTN line that I call with the VOIP line.

Anyone have better luck? Any ideas? I doubt the support number will be open tomorrow.

Reply to
danr_18

"Mike Schumann" top-posted:

Did you load the latest firmware and get the manual from the WWWebsite?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

It's an outfit called Edimax Technology from Tawain.

Thanks, Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

It's the BR-6204WG. Any idea who to get this to work in WDS mode? I'm not having much luck, and the manual is useless. At $2.99 each after rebate, this would be a VERY sweet deal if I could get it to work reliably.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

I don't know about QOS, but I got the WDS Bridging to work between two of the units. By far the cheapest repeater hardware I've ever seen ($2.99 after rebate - ends today).

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

I spoke to tech support this morning. They have a Sipura TA and DSL connection there to test QoS with. He was able to reproduce that there was not enough bandwidth reserved, when he did a speedtest (upload) while talking.

He said that he's contacting the manufacturer and it'll take a few days to get a reply (which he'll call/email me about), especially due to the time zone difference.

I also received a response from my email to tech support, saying that (s)he'd (a different person) would have to do more testing to reproduce it. I then emailed him/her that another person already reproduced it and is calling the manufacturer.

BTW, to email tech support, you go to the driver webpage and you'll see a button to enable you to fill out a web form.

Mike Schumann wrote:

Reply to
danr_18

FYI, the unit is now $20 after $30 rebate. Of course there is tax on the initial $50. The rebate ends at the end of March.

I posted in another thread, that my email to tech support, from the fmi.compusa.com website, was replied by someone at Ferris Marketing. That's probably what FMI stands for (the "I", probably being Incorporated).

Reply to
jimr18

Oops, the previous message was posted on a PC which was logged in under someone elses account...

Reply to
danr_18

No response from tech support yet, but:

If I do a "Maximum" rule on the IP range of the "other" machines (not the VOIP TA), then it does a HARD limit for all those IPs (no shaping). That way, the TA gets the needed bandwidth, but the PCs NEVER get all the bandwidth. (My TA has an IP address above the DHCP range).

Rule Name Non VoIP T Bandwidth Upload || 256 Kbps || Maximum Local IP Address 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.199 Protocol TCP Create a second rule for UDP.

Hopefully, tech supports comes back with a better solution than this.

=== To get some interesting system status and configuration info: In your web browser: (router's IP address)/debug.asp

At the command prompt, type:

report.txt Then hit the apply button

Reply to
danr_18

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.