Can I use an AP as a better client/receiver for my PC?

In my home I have ADSL broadband over the phone line, coming into a BT Home Hub (DSL modem/firewall/wireless router). The wireless coverage is not good, especially to an office where my wife's PC is located. Moving the router is not an option. But...

My wife's PC has a little USB dongle as a WiFi client. I also have a spare NetGear wireless access point. Would it be a good idea to replace my wife's PC's dongle with the NetGear AP? Is it possible to configure an AP to act as a client? How?

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
bob.sather
Loading thread data ...

If you have some signal, a simple reflector on the router might make things very good.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
Make the tabs longer than the template drawing, for easier assembly.

Some, what model do you have?

You can put the little dongle in a coffee can for improved performance

Bob Alston's USB coffee can

formatting link
"My Tin Cantenna"

Clarence Dold's two coffee can USB picture

formatting link

Reply to
dold

If I were setting things up at home again, I wouldn't have bothered with a WiFi reflector to our "downstairs" PC; I'd have gone for Homeplug.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

So you are saying that you had marginal reception and the reflector did not increase your reception? Did you aim it correctly? Or was it zero reception before and still not enough after. Or was it an interference problem?

Home plug is often a great solution, but a reflector is about $100 cheaper and CAN make the difference in a marginal (not impossible) setting.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Is this the better way to go above since the "radio" part is actually built into the antenna/can?

Reply to
me

How many walls are you going through? What are the walls made from? Any metal in the walls (chicken wire, foil backed insulation)?

That's what happens when you buy an all-in-one unit. If the wireless part were seperate from the modem, it might have been possible to move just the wireless access point section. You can still do that by adding a 2nd wireless access point to your system. It would have the same SSID as your existing BT Home Hub but on a different RF channel (1, 6, or 11). CAT5 cable between the BT Home Hub and the wireless access point completes the connection.

I have no idea. You didn't bother supplying a model number. Different products have different features. If the unspecified model Netgear device has a client mode, it would be possible. Where it does anything useful depends more on the distance between it and the BT Home Hub and the number of walls you're trying to penetrate. I would try the reflector as others have suggested before doing anything complicated.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It was zero before, and it's satisfactory now. The downside is that it required a lot of fiddling (and juggling around of the AP's placement and its aerials) before I got anything like a solid signal. The upside is that I now have coverage over the whole house apart from a few spots (!) on the kitchen table.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

Sounds like an endorsement for trying a reflector to me !

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.