Booster??

Just trying to increase my wireless knowledge :-) Are there such devices that act like a booster , i.e. you put them halfway between an access point/wireless router and the client PC and they simply pickup and re-transmit the signal.

I'm aware that some access points can act in bridge mode in the way I describe but I think this requires configuring both access points in bridge mode. In a situation I've been asked about, there's an existing wireless router that doesn't seem to support bridging.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson
Loading thread data ...

This is home use so speed isn't too much of an issue as the internet feed is way less than the bandwidth we're talking about.

So an AP configured in repeater mode in effect picks up traffic from another transmitter (or rather two of them) and passes the data along?

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Repeater.

Many AP's can be configed to run in "Repeater Mode". I have a couple here doing just that. Repeaters cut your pipe in half, which may not be an issue if you only use your wireless for internet traffic.

For WLAN traffic, its better to run CAT5 for additional AP's.

Reply to
Eric

When you configure an AP in repeater mode, do you have to also configure the other AP in repeater mode as well?

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Nope! Thats one of the great things. Setting up a repeater is usually just a simply matter of pointing the intended repeater towards an AP to repeat. Often, there is even a scan utility -- you simply scan the air and then pick which AP you want to repeat. Nothing needs to be done with the originating AP.

However, before getting a repeater, AP that can be used as a repeater, etc, you'll want to do some research first and make sure that the hardware that you intend to use a repeater is compatible with the originating AP. With DLink stuff (and most Linksys, I believe?) both hardwares have to be capable of WDS (wireless distribution) in order for repeating to work. Some other limitation with repeating: proprietary stuff usually can't be used through a repeater and WPA (at least with DLink) won't work. (WEP does though.)

I believe there are some some "standalone repeaters" out there that work with any (vanilla) 802.11[g/b] though. On the subject of "repeaters", Jeff Liebermann often points those asking for repeater info towards a (cool) animal that uses your existing home electrical wiring. Its more of an "ethernet-wireless bridge" than a repeater, but achieves the same thing. Its two pieces of hardware, each plugs into an electrical outlet. One of the pieces of hardware has an ethernet port and tranceives the data across the electrical wiring. The other piece of hardware tranceives the data across the wiring and has a built-in AP. As long as the two outlets are on the same circuit, you are in business, plus doesn't seem to have all the same limitations that "repeaters" do. Eventually I want to get a set of these animals myself.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Thought it wouldn't be that simple :-) The originating AP is actually a 3COM OfficeConnect ADSL wireless router. I'll have a look through the manual. I'll also borrow one of our Netgear AP from work (which can work as a repeater) and see if I can get it working.

Any idea of make/models?

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.