Wireless booster

Hi all,

Saw these on Ebay.

formatting link
Are they worthwhile?

What would happen if I used one of these together with a corner reflector like the EZY-F :-)

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here
Loading thread data ...

OOps - the link failed.

Try this

Should be OK now.

Cheers again

Rob

Reply to
me here

Grrrrr......I give up - how do I post a long web address in XanaNews?

I had this happen once before, but have forgotten the answer.

Anyway, forget the link, the piece of hardware I was looking at on Ebay is a 1 Watt indoor amplifier with the following spec.

Description:

WLAN-2300-1W is an indoor solution 1W bi-direction Booster designed for 2.4GHz wireless LANs. This unit comes with an easy plug-and-play installation, which works together with an indoor Wireless Access Point to improve its operation range and performance. In certain conditions the unit is able to double the range of the wireless device. The unit extends signal range and can eliminate the use of an additional radio with its associated data line, power outlet, signal interference, and setup headaches.

The unit is the fast and easy way to extend your signal range in any environment. The unit is ideal for use with 2.4 GHz frequency hopping or direct sequence spread spectrum radio modems and 11 mbps IEEE802.11b devices.

The amplifiers increase range by providing transmit gain as well as low-noise receive gain. This receive gain increase the receive sensitivity of wireless LAN Access poing. Full output power of 500mW is achieved with only 5 mW input into the Booster. *

Specifications: o Operating range : 2400-2500MHz o Operating mode : Bi-directional, half-duplex Time Division Duplex Senses RF carrier from Transmitter and automatically switches receive to transmit mode o Transmit gain : 17dB Nominal (Spec. by sustomer) o Frequency response : ± dB over operating range o Output power : 1000mW ( +30 dBm) nominal o TX input power : 10 dB Nominal (Spec. by customer) & Max

100mW, Min 6mW o Receiver gain : 14dB typical o Noise figure : 3.5 dB typical o Connectors : SMA receptacle (50 ohm) o Lightning protection : Direct DC ground at antenna connector o DC surge protection : at 5 BDC input from transmission cable o Power consumption : 6V DV Max.current
Reply to
me here

No.

What will happen is that you will have an alligator. That's an animal with a big mouth and small ears. You'll have the strongest transmit signal in the area, creating huge amounts of interference. However, because everyone else that will be talking to your trashmitter will be running the typical 50mw tx power, you won't be able to hear any better than without the amplifier. If it has a receive amplifier inside, all it does it reduce the effects of the coax cable loss.

Also, note that there is a maximum legal power output and antenna combination in the US. 1 watt into 6dBi. AU may be different. The corner reflector will have more gain than 6dBi, so this combination will not be legal.

You will do better with a big antenna, which has gain in both transmit and receive.

To force your news reader to not word wrap a URL, put whatever it uses as a quote symbol in front of the line. Most do not wrap quotes. Like this: |

However, it would be useful if you learned to use the eBay item number instead, as in:

Also, I'm boycotting Australian vendors because of the government operated CSIRO suit against Buffalo Tech for patent infringement:

Of course, I never buy anything from Australia, so it's kinda futile.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff,

I never thought about the Ebay number.....DOH !

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

For sure! Where else do you require a carrier license to operate on a non-license band (certain exceptions and allowances apply)?

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.