Block Unwanted User

I have a linksys wireless router that feeds the internet to my laptop and desktop. My brother-in-law is also using the router to gain access to the internet. How can I make it so that only my 2 computers can have access to the router?

Reply to
TechMyst
Loading thread data ...

Setup security on your router's wireless side. WPA2 etc.

Reply to
Jimmy

Configure the router to require a wireless encryption key (WPA or WEP), and don't tell him what the key is.

Reply to
Steve Winograd [MVP]

Ok, I have enabled WPA encryption using a TKIP passcode on the router; but now my Belkin cards do not recognize any signal (this is what I want to have happen for him.) How can I get my cards to use the security key I have set up so I can access the internet? All the same lights are lit up on the router as before.

Thanks again, Jimmy, Steve, and mikey b! (and anyone else wishing to help!)

Reply to
TechMyst

I'll have to check whether my card is even capable of WPA by going into the "Network Authentication" on the wireless connection properties, yes...I'll have to get home to do that...

Reply to
TechMyst

Microsoft has published a WPA update that might not have gotten to your system yet.

formatting link

Reply to
smlunatick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.