Bandwidth drops to zero at precise intervals for a seccond

Hi all.

PREABLE

Having had a nightmare with wireless and an Edimax Access point (don't buy an Edimax AP! EW-7203APg) I took it back, an bought myself the PC Pro Recommended Kcorp 575 gold.

formatting link

Well what a difference, you tell it you want WPA and it to work, and it just did :)

It is worth pointing out, I'm still using the Edimax Client Cards, a EW-7108PCg For the laptop, and EW-7128g For the 2 desktops.

As the title suggests, I'm having a problem with the available bandwith.

THE POINT OF THE POST

If I look at a bandwidth monitor, like the one in Kerio Personal Firwall (its just a line chart that tells you the ins and outs), regardless of where information is coming from (internet, other Wireless, or a wired computer) at precise intervals, which vary between 30 to 60 seconds, Incoming/outgoing packets drops to ZERO, nothing at all, for just under a second.

When downloading files, I can cope with this, when playing Battlefield 2, OH NO, it says 'problem with connection' every time, so that's every 40 or 60 seconds, depending what mood its in. this is unacceptable.

What can I do to correct the problem? Do you think its worth me buying a Kcorp client card just for my gaming PC?

THANKS

Thanks in advance to any suggestions, I will let you know how I get on.

Adam

Reply to
ad
Loading thread data ...

Might try Services Wireless Zero Configuration set it to Disabled

some wifi drivers conflict with WZC so you might need to use the wifi card makers configuration utility

Reply to
bumtracks

Thanks for quick reply.

I'm already using the software that came with the client cards, and not WZC on the laptop.

And my gaming pc is windows 2000 anyhow, so that is not an option!

It would seem I'm not the only one with this problem, but on different hardware:

formatting link
formatting link
so, there must be an answere!!!!

thanks

adam

Reply to
ad

Are you near an airport, industrial park, or other potential source of interference? Sure sounds like a classis case of RFI...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

My guess(tm) is that some daemon (resident program) is check to see if you're connected to the internet. For some odd reason, some of these programs cause network traffic to stall. Programs like Symantec Live Update check every 5 minutes. I suggest you download, install, and run Startup Inspector for Windoze at:

formatting link
disable anything in the startup that doesn't belong or you can live without.

Another way to identify the culprit is to use the XP Task Manager. Right Click on the "task bar" and select "Task Manager". See which Application or Process is popping up every 30-60 seconds.

You can probably verify that it's a program and not a wireless issue by disabling the wireless and running a CAT5 cable directly to the router. If the problem persists, it's in the computah. If it magically is cured with a direct LAN connection, then we try another guess.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your wireless. Methinks it's a Windoze issue, but I can't tell the exact cause from here.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

hi, thanks for your reply,

no, non of those things, and the noise level reported is 'normal' and on one of the computers its 0%.

as mentionioned, I'm not the only one with this exact problem.

also, if it was > >at precise intervals, which vary between 30 to 60 seconds,

Incoming/outgoing

Reply to
ad

"ad" top-posted:

Absolutely! Airport radars, industrial processes, and lots of other things happen on regular intervals.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.