Are there any 802.11a video cameras available?

I've found a good number of b/g wifi video cameras out there, but I'd like to find one that supports a-mode. Anyone seen any?

-mike

Reply to
mjgorr
Loading thread data ...

I'm a big fan of 802.11a (getting ready to even buy some parabolic antennas soon) and looked once for exactly that: 802.11a wireless video cameras.

I don't remember the exact direction that quest took me, but the short answer: "They ain't cheap!"

Pretty much, at least from what I found, "consumer" 802.11a cameras have pretty much evaporated in the last couple years, leaving just very expensive "commercial" 802.11a cameras in their wake. That seems to be trend with everything 802.11a these days. My WLAN will continue to be 802.11a though. (I do use 802.11g also, but just for piddly internet and media stuff.)

Do a deja search of this NG on the topic of using video cams. Jeff Liebermann (residential expert here) has made quite a few postings on how to incorporate regular video cameras into your wireless network.

Reply to
Eric

Well, all I did was suggest that it would be better to:

1. Use an ordinary NTSC video security camera, digital cameras with video output, or camcorder. The common CCD or CMOS network cameras just don't do well for quality pictures.
  2. To go from NTSC or Svideo to a network, some type of "video server" is required. If you need to know the price, you can't afford it.
    formatting link
    formatting link
    (lots of others)
  3. Any 802.11a to ethernet client bridge radio, that's capable of logging into a wireless access point can be used for connectivity. I don't do much 802.11a so I can't offer a specific recommendation.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.