AirSnare freeware for detecting which neighbor is warsitting your wireless router

Does anyone know how to report this AirSnare coding error to developers?

AirSnare version 1.5.0 Error: An error has occured while attempting to place the interface in monitor mode. Please take the time to report this to us. Adapter #:(1)Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) Error Num: -2147220982 Error Des: Procedure PacketSetHwFilter failed. Error Code = 0

A friend suggested I download AirSnare to prove which of my neighbors is connecting to my wireless Internet router so I downloaded AirSnare, Ethereal, and WinCap as per instructions and installed onto winxp.

Do you know what this error is indicating? How do we report an error to the AirSnare coding team?

Reply to
pamela.higgins
Loading thread data ...

In message at 09:45:55 on Sun, 17 Jun 2007, pamela.higgins wrote

If you have the proper protection on, why worry about it?

Reply to
Mike

I'd start on their forum. The forum is pretty active and is hosted at

Nope

hth,

-Craig

Reply to
Craig

You can contact the developer Jay Deboer on the email address jaydotdeboeratcomcastdotnet. Just replace the dots and at with the genuine article!

Stuart

Reply to
Præthön

Better to employ security on the router to prevent the connection in the 1st place.

P.

Reply to
Flyer

Mike hath wroth:

Do you just lock the front door and assume that the lock is in working order? Do you even look at the lock to check if it's functional? Are you sure the "proper protection" is working, or perhaps your neighbor has a spare key?

It's the same with any kind of network security, including wireless. If you don't monitor the connection, you don't have any clue of what's moving on your network or who's using it. For example, I've tracked down a few virus infections to the neighbors using the allegedly secure wireless connection, and accidentally spreading a virus to open shares. I've also seen internet performance come to a grinding halt when the local brat does his file sharing exercises. Without monitoring, one would never know these things were happening, except perhaps by the symptoms, which could be attributable to other causes.

As Prez Reagan often said; "Trust, but verify".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Condomware

Reply to
Krazee Brenda

Chastitybeltware?

Reply to
Krazee Brenda

Fuckheadware

Reply to
Krazee Brenda

get on touch with them, I doubt they read this group.

Your neighbour wouldn't be connecting unless you were stupid enough not to set your security correctly. Did you give them the WPA-PSK key? If so, just change it and use your MAC access list then change your SSID and hide it.

Not bothered looking as your friend should have advised you to set your router correctly instead of messing about with software you (and him) don't understand and don't even need. God knows how you would attempt to prove it was a neighbour connecting to your system! Think about it a bit more. The police would laugh at you as you can't even use a computer or router, the neighbour would tell you to go away.

You contact them.

Reply to
Si

Yes, when the door doesn't open I can say the lock works.

Yes, when the door is locked and checked.

The only way a neighbour would have that is if they were given one by the occupier and told to use it.

You do if you use WPA-PSK and don't give people the key, no one else will be connecting and using it. Even better if you use a decent firewall.

You obviously lie aswell! That statement is rubbish and you can't even back it up. With proper security you would not be able to monitor their connections and certainly couldn't see what was going on between their PC and web sites. You might have told your neighbours that in order to be given access to their PC and obtain confidential details from it, something I would hope your neighbours now do something about.

Well again that is rubbish if people use different channels. Why would you be feeling the need to get involved with data being passed between a router and a PC. You only assume it is file sharing as the data is encrypted so YOU CAN NOT SEE what that user is doing. You can lie all you like and make as many false claims as you like to sound impressive, but most of us know you're wrong.

That is a meaningless statement, just a collection of words with no real meaning. It is very vague and empty, like your understanding of computers, RF, wireless networks and computer security. Get back to your "hacker" group!

Reply to
Si

I just tried that forum and it's obviously a joke, with the amount of adverts and p*rn in the titles of messages. No serious discussion going on and NOT ONE user has ever used it to detect anything as that part of the forum has no posts! As I suspected, a waste of time downloading or using the program. It might have been OK in the days of WEP, but no longer of any use with WPA-PSK.

Reply to
Si

Diaphramware?

Reply to
Bear Bottoms

HooverDamware and dam uncomfortable.

Reply to
Krazee Brenda

Police Geeks?

Reply to
Krazee Brenda

AsperinHeldFirmlyBetweenTheKneesware.

Reply to
Bear Bottoms

Hi,

I think you will find this is a generic "error" message as such, not really requiring reporting to the coders, but more research by yourself about your hardware, and whether it has drivers that support monitor mode in Windows, etc., etc.

You may find you need to use special drivers, or use the device under Linux, or use different hardware. Probably not actually a software problem as such, and probably not something really needing reporting to the software writers (I expect the please report this to us bit is shown in all their software's error messages). A bit more reading about this software, your hardware, drivers, reference drivers, monitor mode, etc., will probably reveal this as a very common problem requiring your attention in other areas. A bit (or more accurately somewhere between quite a lot and a lot) of reading and research on your part, around this subject, software, your hardware and its drivers, etc., should provide you with a more meaningful understanding and answer, etc.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Procedure PacketSetHwFilter failed. Error Code = 0

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
jmatt

lolware

Reply to
Krazee Brenda

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:50:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webace.com.au wrote

Thank you Jmatt! I guess I'm screwed coz airsnare isn't compatible with my wireless card.

Run-time error ¡-2147220982 (8004020a)¢: Procedure PacketSetHwFilter failed Error Code = 0

This isn¢t a good error. This is telling you that the software is having problems putting your network card into promiscuous mode. Basically your card isn¢t compatible. Your only option is to try a different card.

Reply to
pamela.higgins

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.