Advice Needed: IP Routing for > 1 IP

I will have up to 5 IP-based cameras (Sony) on a LAN all connecting to a LINKSYS wireless router. Connectivity is DSL into the router with 5 available. I need these cameras to broadcast on port 80 or 8080.

Can I setup a router (any type) that will manage the fowarding of 5 wireless devices on Port 80?

In other words, can the router handle thr assignment of the DSL modem's ip addresses thru my wireless router?

Reply to
Scott
Loading thread data ...

Can you select the port? Can one be on port 81, the next on 82, etc? I've made that work on Linksys routers.

You have 5 static (or is it dynamic?) IPs? Verizon Business FIOS with

5 static IPs apparently (ask me next Monday) comes with an Adtran NetVanta 2054 router, which does IP routing, but costs $250-ish...
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

"Scott" hath wroth:

No. Port forwarding for a specific port number must terminate at a specific IP address. One port, one camera, no more.

It can't be done with a camera, but it can be done easily with a web page. I presume you have a web server available somewhere on the internet.

1. Setup each camera with their own IP addresses. I'll use
192.168.1.101 thru 105 for this example.

1. Setup the any type router to forward a sequence of ports to the respective camera IP's. For this example, I'll use: port IP Camera 5001 192.168.1.101 1 5002 192.168.1.102 2 5003 192.168.1.103 3 5004 192.168.1.104 4 5005 192.168.1.105 5

2. If your ISP dynamically assigns IP addresses to your router, subscribe to a dynanmic DNS service. For this example, I'll use: whatever.dyndns.ws

1. Build a web page that has 5 links on it that point to the cameras:
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    formatting link
    links will point to your 5 cameras.

2. If you have a local web server on your LAN such as:
    formatting link
    you can dispense with step 4 and simply point directly to the IP addresses of the cameras. This is what I do.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No, you cannot do that on a NAT router such as a Linksys. Port forwading is static whare forwared traffic is sent to a single LAN IP/machine.

No

No

You may have to setup in class like a FW appliance that would allow you to router traffic by setting rules.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.