Need help understanding static routing with Comcast IP Gateway

I got my Comcast Business IP Gateway today with 5 static IP addresses. My IP Gateway is the SMC 8014.

I have several servers in my network which I want to expose to the internet; I don't want to simply port forward but rather if a request comes in for static IP x.x.x.249 on port 80, I want it routed to my Web Server #1. Likewise, if a request comes in on static IP x.x.x.250 on port 80, I want it routed to my Web Server #2. You see where simple port forward fails in this scenario because I could have port 80 requests coming in but each is for a different server.

My question is that I don't understand how to set this up in my IP Gateway (there is no manual and Comcast tech support was useless).

Thanks for any help.

Mike Seattle

Reply to
Mike Brophy
Loading thread data ...

Hi. Look up NAT, network address translation.

Reply to
Dana

I'm betting they gave you a modem/router unit. I'll assume it has 1 ethernet port. If not you can simplify a bit.

SMC | |

5 port switch (you supply) | +---- first computer / server with IP set to one of your static IPs | +---- second computer / server with IP set to one of your static IPs | +---- third computer / server with IP set to one of your static IPs | +---- fourth computer / server with IP set to one of your static IPs | | +---- A router doing NAT to handle other "user" computers

This would give you 4 servers plus as many non-servers as your router can handle.

There are a LOT of other ways to do this and your needs are not entirely clear but this is one way. The key is to set the IP address of the server computers AND the router to a different one of the IP addresses give to you by Comcast. If you allow them to "get an IP" they will get different ones over time and mess up your server plans.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.