add antenna to wifi router or remote pc?

Hi,

I'm wondering whether I should add an antenna to my router, or replace a remote 802.11g device with a more robust device, or both.

I have a d-link di-524 802.11g wireless router and a d-link dwl-g120 usb 802.11g dongle at a remote pc about 30 feet away. The remote pc is a Dell Dimension 4600C, which contains only a single half-height PCI slot, and I chose a USB dongle since there are few half-height PCI

802.11g cards on the market.

The remote PC functions as an HTPC (home theater PC), and therefore sits on a low shelf in my TV cart. The positioning is very unfavorable in terms of interference from all the nearby electronics, and I rarely obtain good signals even though the router is only 30 feet away, and I frequently lose the signal entirely. OTOH, when I bring a laptop home from work and wander around the house, I get good signals on the laptop, so I think that the problem is due more to the dwl-g120 dongle and its environment than to the router.

It would be relatively cheap and easy to add an antenna to the router, but I don't know whether that will provide adequate two-way communication if the dwl-g120 is unable to transmit adequately.

Another alternative is to replace the dwl-g120 with a Hawking HWU54D high-gain USB wireless-G adapter:

formatting link
Do you have any opinions as to which will work better? Or should I just buy the router antenna and then try the USB device if necessary?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Epstein
Loading thread data ...

jaepstein snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jonathan Epstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Try using a USB extension lead to position the USB dongle higher up and away from metalwork as much as possible.

Reply to
Jo

Reflectors for both would be pretty simple.

Is the dongle plugged directly into the computer, or is it on a cable? If it's on a cable, you could simple put it about 1" in front of a flat piece of tin, like a pie plate, oriented as a reflector toward the access point. The orientation of my DWL-122 is important. It is not an omnidirectional antenna. Are you using some signal strength indication to orient the dongle?

You can put a simple reflector on the existing antenna of the access point. Try an EZ-10 from

formatting link

You might be able to make a corner reflector for the dongle, but a flat piece works for about 5 points on the NetStumbler scale.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.