Mixed 802.11g/b network performance

I understand that b links use DFSS modulation with a theoretical maximum transmission rate of 11 Mb/s, while 802.11g uses OFDM, with a maximum rate of 54 Mb/s. I also understand that in a "real" WLAN, the actual transmission rates are much less due to limitations of the Ethernet interfaces, etc.

But what about a mixed network? Are the links betweena b/g router and a g adapter/client PC using OFDM at its higher speed, while a b adapter/client PC linked to the same router does so with DFSS transmission at its lower rate?

I recently upgraded my home WLAN PARTIALLY from b to g. I replaced the Microsoft MN500 base station with a Linksys WRT54G router, and my laptop D-Link b adapter with a Linksys WPC54G adapter. But my wife's downstairs computer (which is "off" most of the time) is still equipped with its old Microsoft MN510 USB adapter.

The router is set to a "Mixed" network. The downstairs computer connects to the WLAN just fine with its b adapter.

But, even if it is only "on" part of the time, is the downstairs computer's adapter causing the transmission speeds between my WPC54G and the WRT54G to be less than they would be in a "pure" 802.11g WLAN?

In other words, would there be any benefit (in terms of transmission speeds on the overall network) to my upgrading the downstairs PC's adapter to a WUSB54G, and setting the router to "G-only"?

- Jeff

Reply to
jschall
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.