802.11a Need to setup wireless network for cable internet

I have a laptop only right now. I am getting a new Desktop PC and my cable internet provider says to add another cable modem I have to buy another internet acct. Obviously a grab for more $$$ as if they don't get enough already ;)

However the guy who installed the digital Cable & Cable modem yesterday told me I can get around that by installing a router.

I happen to have an Intel 802.11a pcmcia card for this laptop.

What I need is suggestions on the router.

When the desktop PC comes in I'd like to set it up as a wired connection... internet from cable modem to the router then to the desktop and have the laptop be a wireless link up with internet access also.

Will this device

formatting link
Do what I need?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Conservative.Nate
Loading thread data ...

Absolutely the way to go.

Throw it out and get an 802.11G card and matching router.

While the price is right, 802.11a won't go through walls at all, and isn't really suitable for SOHO use. It's for large corporate environments where you want to keep (for instance) each conference room separate from each other. I also personally hate D-Link products, but that's a rathole. IMHO you should get an 802.11g kit from Linksys, like:

formatting link
or (if money is important, and you don't need to share files or a really high-speed internet connection):

formatting link

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Linksys is the way to go, tried Dlink 624, which is a real POS. I mean they really tried to make that piece of crap. Thier tech support consists with like five 16yr olds who know how to turn on the computer. I tried Linksys and extreamly happy with it, specially with all the 3rd party firmware aviable. I got the WRT54G version 2. Also paid 20$ extra to get 1 year support from sveasoft for thier private firmware. Which is just amazing.

Reply to
tzar

Unless you need the 802.11a for work, I would suggest getting an 802.11g card. It would be usable with public hotspots more so than the 802.11a card is. 802.11a routers are more expensive.

Or, your card might work with 802.11b. For home use, that would be fine.

Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit WGR614v4 Router and WG511 PCMCIA card that I have.

Uh-oh. No rebates today. I got mine for $49.99. It's higher now. Linksys, D-Link, Netgear... any one of them. I'd get "g", not because the speed is important, but because the "b", if there are any left, are old models that might not have current firmware available.

Today's Office Depot Ad has a DLink for $59.99-40=$19.99.

The "g" cards are usually around $29-39. You don't need to match brands for a,b, or g, but you probably would have to match brands for the various special "turbo" or high-speed non-standard modes.

Reply to
dold

Bizarre

I have di-624 FW 2.50 with 1 computer wire & 1 using dwl-g520 and i have no problem and i have 2 wireless Phone 2.4 ghz in the home and i have 6 servers on the wires computer

Reply to
yoplait
<
formatting link

BestBuy D-Link AirPlus G 802.11g Wireless Notebook Starter Kit Model: DWL-923 &9-$60=$19.99 Router and PCMCIA card.

Reply to
dold

My Linksys WRT54G router has worked flawlessly from day one. The router (with NAT) will give you good inbound protection. I have the same situation, one wired pc and one wireless laptop sharing a cable modem. No networking. When we want to share data files, which is rare in our case, we email them to each other.

Be sure and change the default PW in the router.

I use Zonealarm for outbound protection, and no longer use a firewall for this home/very small office environment. Good luck.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

Dont know, but if you look for reviews for Dlink 624 you will see that many people are unhappy with it. But there are lucky few ones who have no problems. I spent hours with tech support- but they dont have a clue, they just tell you anything cuase they want you to hang up.

Reply to
tzar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.