2 floors, 1 internet connection

I have 1 cable internet connection to my house hooked up to a wireless router on the main floor. Due to walls/floors/distance, I need to add an additional wireless router to the basement and run Ethernet to 1 desktop. The devices involved are US Robotics 5461 and Trendnet TEW-452BRP. I'd like the USR to be in the basement since it has a built-in print server and the printer is needed in the basement. The USR has Bridging and WDS capabilities. The Trendnet has an "AP mode." I've tried different setting combinations, but none would allow me to access the internet from the basement. Essentially I just want the WAP in the basement to act as a repeater I guess. I know the terms bridge, router, repeater, AP all have very technical meanings applying to different hardware levels, which most laymen are not familiar with (including me), but I'm trying my best to accurately describe the equipment and what I'm trying to do. Hope someone can help given the specified equipment, since the search answers I've come up with are specific to other people's equipment or too generic. Thanks.

Reply to
cl999
Loading thread data ...

Here is a rather 'un-technical' response.

I have the cable modem and a d-link router in the basement. address is ...0.1 Office computer (xp)and file/print server (linux) are plugged into it. RJ45 runs upstairs, there is a hub at the desk for the tower there, and a linksys wireless set up as an access point. This unit is treated as a hub itself - uplink cable goes into one of the 4 'yellow' sockets, not the wan uplink socket. So, it is a hub that happens to be wireless, address is .....0.2, dhcp etc turned off. I was seting up a second wireless unit (trendnet) in the basement. It configured itself as ...1.1, and wanted the uplink plugged into the wan socket. It just needed a different ssid, and to be on a different channel. Having it as 1.1 instead of 0.3 insulated it from the file server, what was either very good or very bad, depending on how you look at it.

But, I found that a better quality antenna upstairs gave me just as good a signal downstairs as the separate access point.

As I see it, what you want is a second access point. A bridge would be useful if you had a good signal downstairs and could not run wires. Seems you have the opposite situation.

If you can run the wire, just put a hub in the basement, and plug the computer and print server into the hub. Seems to me you don't need wireless downstairs, but it is nice when a laptop comes to visit, so may be worth doing.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.