108 Mbps Cardbus/USB Adapters that accept external antennae

Appreciate a list. I currently have a SMC Barricade 7904WBRA. Should I stick with SMC.

Thanks.

Reply to
baduser
Loading thread data ...

Your SMC 7904WBRA is an ADSL wireless router that does NOT support

108MBit/sec enhancements to 802.11g. You would be wasteing your money buying something faster then 54Mbits/sec unless you also replace your existing 7904WBRA.

Offhand, I don't know of any USB adapters that have easily attachable external antennas. However, if you search Google Groups for articles on "USB antenna", you'll probably find quite a few modifications and do it thyself adaptations.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I realize the 7904 isn't geared for 108. I move amongst various clients so I would like to give myself a shot at 108 if the situation arose. My concerns are more with SMC being a good choice as an all rounder, particularly with the 7904. Being able to attach an external antenna would be a plus, but USB/Cardbus are limited.

Reply to
baduser

First, please realize that there are two 108Mbit/sec proprietary technologies (Turbo, Super-G, and Afterburner), so your chances of finding a compatible access point is rather less than I would expect. In addition, the increasing popularity of MIMO (pre-N or eventually

802.11n) will also limit your abilities to find a compatible access point. In addition, the benifits of these proprietary improvements are only useful when fairly close to the access point (< 6ft) and only between similar technology client to client transfers. You'll also need a 100Mbit/sec broadband connection to insure that the speed to the internet is faster than the maximum 50-60mbits/sec wireless performance for 108Mbits/sec. Lastly, they don't work peer to peer.

Well, you did ask for an opinion and I think that this exercise in performance enhancement is a total waste of time and effort. Stay with 802.11g and away from proprietary enhancements.

Sorry, I have no experience with the SMC client radios and cannot offer an opinion.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Buffalo has 54 Mbps and 125 Mbps Cardbus, and 54 Mbps USB, but no 108 Mbps. All have external antenna jacks. To use the 125, you'd need a compatible router.

Reply to
SMS

Thanks.

Looks like I'm between a reinforced concrete wall and a hard place.

Reply to
baduser

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.