VPN to same IP range

Hi,

This may be an FAQ, I'de be surprised if no-one else has had this problem!

Our LAN is on a single subnet 192.168.15.0 We're running a W2000 RAS server for VPN. A client needs to VPN in and then remote desktop. He is on a LAN totally different location and company but with the same IP range. He can connect with a VPN no problem, but then can't see the server that he needs to RD onto. Is there a solution apart from one of us changing the IP range of our LAN?

Thanks in advance, SW

Reply to
S W
Loading thread data ...

Hmm, Never tried this, but I wonder if you could dual nic the server he needs to get to and give that another address (different subnet of course), then give him an address in that subnet when he vpn's in. Don't give the server a default gateway for that new subnet and it should still act ok. If you do have to change the server IP then go for something most people wouldn't use like a 172. address in case it ever happens again. simon

Reply to
Simon

Sounds like its worth a try definitely! By a 172. address do you mean 192.168.172.?

Thanks, SW

Reply to
S W

Hi, No A 172.X... Address. Most home routers use 192.x.x.x or even 10.x.x.x, I've not seen one that uses a 172 -

formatting link

Reply to
Simon

That's the easy bit!

then give him an address in that subnet when he vpn's in.

Not sure how I'd do that without upsetting the rest of the vpn users?

Thanks for your help, and that was a useful link too.

SW

Reply to
S W

How do you authenticate the users ? if they are local accounts there is an option to allow the client to specify their own address I think, this might be a way round it.

Reply to
Simon

I've found a way round it which is easier for us and preferred by the client. He is now using LogMeIn software. A copout? Maybe but thanks for your help anyway. :) SW

Reply to
S W

Change the metric (metric on LAN = 100 - on your local area connecttion). This way, XP will use the VPN virtual adapter for connection til

192.168.15.X network. In a command promt, "type route print". XP will use the route with the lowest metric. Setting the LAN adapter to 100 means the any new coonnection will have a lower metric, and therefor will be used first.

Best regards

Kent Kirkegaard

"S W" skrev i en meddelelse news:45804dc2$0$8754$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...

Reply to
Kent Kirkegaard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.