Problems with PPTP VPN and DLink DI-808HV

Hi,

We have a Dlink DI-808HV router that implements its own VPN server "in the box". I've set it up as a PPTP server with MPPE encryption and, most of the time, it works fine.

Occasionally (i.e. once a day or so) when a Windows client attempts to connect to the VPN server the negotiation will hang, during the part where Windows says "Verifying user name and password" or "Registering your computer on the network". Eventually Windows times out. Sometimes retrying three or four times will fix the problem, and sometimes it will persist.

This happens with different PC clients, running both XP home and professional, and with different Internet paths (e.g. coffee shops, hotels, GSM/GPRS cell modem, etc) back to the 808HV. Resetting the router, if there's someone around to do it, always seems to cure the condition for a while.

The same PC, with the same network path back home, will connect just fine some times and fail others. Turning off encryption doesn't seem to help. I've been in touch with DLink technical support and even the second or third level support guys (the ones that sound like they know what they're talking about) don't seem to have a solution. At least they're honest about that :-)

Has anybody else seen this problem?

Thanks, Bob Armstrong

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.