NeoRouter - the zero-config VPN solution for OpenWRT

NeoRouter

formatting link
is a zero-config VPN and remote access solution, and they have just added support for OpenWRT.

I was a Hamachi user and a small business owner. I stopped using Hamachi because I could not shell out 20 bucks a month just to pay for its service. I have been looking for an alternative VPN solution. I tried to setup OpenVPN on my router running OpenWRT, but as a newbie, it was just too difficult for me. Finally I found NeoRouter and it=92s a very neat solution and very easy to setup.

It took me merely a few minutes to setup its server program on my Linksys WRT54GL running the latest Kamikaze and its client program on my PCs and laptops. As a network newbie, I did not have trouble setting it up following the instructions

formatting link
formatting link
It=92s so much easier than OpenVPN and I am glad I do not need to manually edit any configuration files.

NeoRouter has a very nice user interface for its client program called Network Explorer. It=92s probably the most user-friendly client program among all the VPN products I have tried, better than OpenVPN and Hamachi. I love the roaming user profile so that my preference is always remembered no matter where I go.

NeoRouter can establish direct P2P connections just like Hamachi, but it is much faster. I transferred a 30 MB video file from my home in San Jose to my parents=92 in Boston in about 3 minutes using NeoRouter while Hamachi would usually take 5-6 minutes. NeoRouter establishes P2P connections only when I try to connect to the remote computer, while Hamachi establishes an exponential number of connections at launch time. I used to have >30 computers in my Hamachi network, and all these unnecessary TCP connections sometimes bog down my computer and network. I am glad NeoRouter solved the issue.

NeoRouter also works better from behind corporate network when direct P2P connections are not possible. Hamachi=92s relay service is painfully slow during =93rush hours=94 because I have to share the limited resources on Hamachi server cloud with thousands of users. Yuck!!! I cannot even use remote desktop or VNC. With NeoRouter, I have my own server running on my home router, and the connection is always stable and fast.

Reply to
Kevin
Loading thread data ...

NeoRouter has just release the latest version 0.9.5, Which supports more firmwares, Tomato, Tomato ND and Fonera 2.0.

Reply to
Kevin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.