WiFi ATA Information

Anybody know about availability of a Wi-Fi ATA?

We are trying to convert our small office to VoIP. We don't use any wired Ethernet, only wireless/DSL gateway. Would like to connect our desktop analog telephones via a wireless to the DSL gateway.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Flores
Loading thread data ...

WiSIP Phone might do the trick.

formatting link
The WiSIPTM Mobile IP Phone is a next generation intelligent IP Communications device which adds SIP based VoIP communications together with WiFi installations. The WiSIP phone has been optimized for use with Free World Dialup. It can also be used with SIP based IP-PBXs.

Reply to
p

[This is a FORWARDED MESSAGE from comp.dcom.telecom] LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Vonage, the U.S. pioneer of low-cost phone service over Internet broadband connections, on Tuesday said it was working with a phone maker to offer a "Wi-Fi" handset for subscribers to use at home or around town.

The Edison, New Jersey-based company said it had partnered with UTStarcom, a diversified maker of telecommunications equipment based in Alameda, California, to introduce a portable Wi-Fi handset in the spring or summer.

In a series of announcements timed ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show conference here this week, Vonage unveiled plans for the wireless phone, a separate cordless model, and to make these phones available broadly through retailers.

The new Wi-Fi handset, to be known as the F-1000, would be designed to work with Vonage phone service out of the box for U.S. subscribers. The phones would take advantage of local radio airwaves on the most mainstream of Wi-Fi standards -- the so-called "B" standard.

The Wi-Fi handset can act as a replacement to traditional fixed-line phones that a subscriber might have around the house. It can also work when it is within range of any nearby Wi-Fi hotspot out of the house, according to UTStarcom.

Separately, Vonage said it had agreed to a partnership with phone maker VTech (0303.HK), one of North America's largest suppliers of conventional phones, to create a cordless phone system that runs on Vonage's broadband service.

The product is based on Texas Instruments Inc.'s VoIP chipset, and will be available at more than 8,000 U.S. retail locations during the spring/summer of 2005. The phone plugs directly into a customer's broadband Internet connection.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at

formatting link
. New articles daily.

*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This Internet discussion group is making it available without profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of literary, educational, political, and economic issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. I believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner, in this instance Reuters News Service.

For more information go to:

formatting link

Reply to
p

Don't think there are any, but you can get wifi VoIP phones like Zyxel

2000W, Sipura (and Cisco -very expensive). You can take them with you and use anywhere you can connect via wifi. Regards, Martin
Reply to
Martin²

You should be able to use any phone you want

Last thing you would want is to be stuck to muilti monopoly Vontage

If your connected wirelessly you have 3 options.. the one your pursuing (wiFi phone) or you could get a access point router that has 4 ports just plug in your stuff.. or

If you are connected with some form of wifi to your computer and you have a network jack free (example you are using your internet through usb) you could use the windows networking built into XP pro (dunno about home) and buy a crossover cable and plug in your phone to that.

It would just switch though that.

i got a router hooked up with a regular cable to my computer that gets its internet from a usb wireless adabtor. and I can hook othere devices into it.. I set my computer as the gate way.

If you are not running xp pro and have something eles you could also run sygate or some proxy gateway software.

and if you get your net (internet0 from a modem that converts it to ethernet and that is what you plug into your computer you might want to note there are a good lot of ip phones that have a basic simple switch built right into them. that allow you to plug your internet into your phone and then your computer into the phone and all be online.

i know the cheep grandstreams, snom phones (linux they rock) and plenty of othere ip phones have this feature.

And of course what about a usb phone.. I yet to find one for linux .. some please make one soon.. windows is just wrong..

m.

Christ> Anybody know about availability of a Wi-Fi ATA?

Reply to
m

p:

Any idea who is the manufacturer, would like to see if it's available here in UK. TIA Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

I'm sorry, I'm not sure. You might want to contact Pulver directly.

Reply to
p

If you must have a WIFI ATA (for whatever reason) then grab a simple wireless bridge. Something like the linksys WET11 should do fine.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.