Vonage + multi-line cordless phone?

A little advice needed:

For a new office I am helping to setup, we are installing a 384k T1 line, and are planning on using vonage over that T1 line for our phone service. We plan to have at least 2 and maybe 3 phone lines through vonage. We are looking into cordless multi-line phones. We figure we'll need 1 base station and 4-8 handsets. Vonage offers a call-hunt feature that will ring the second or third line if the first line is busy. Will this multi-line service from vonage work with 1 mutli-line base station?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
donotemailme
Loading thread data ...

Assuming you mean phone hardware, we haven't decided on anything yet but are looking into phones such as the Uniden TRU8866 and Panasonic KXTG6500B

Reply to
donotemailme

It's going to be an adapter, whatever vonage is offering that's cheapest (or $0). A reconditioned Motorola VT1005RB, for example, which has jacks for two phone lines. I suppose if we have 3 vonage lines we'll need an ATA with at least 3 jacks.

Reply to
donotemailme

Okay, but why? What is wrong with what I propose?

Reply to
donotemailme

On the asterisk list the wisdom was that one shouldn't trust an external voip supplier for the DID's when in a business setting. It is easy enough for a voip gateway to figure out how to roll-over a failed outgoing call to a backup provider. That direction is easy. On the incoming side there isn't a good solution. If customers are calling a DID that is held by an external provider and that provider is having a bad day, you'll lose the call.

The recommendation was to get a PRI/T1 from the phone company and gateway into voip yourself (via asterisk, Cisco or similar gear). Unfortunately the phone company still prices PRI's like they are a monopoly. It will probably be a while before they are in the price range of home users.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Probably, since the signal from the Vonage TA looks like any other POTS phone line. Each phone conversation takes about 90k so you aren't going to have much room for anything else if you have three phone conversations going on.

But I second the suggestion that you look at other VoIP services, Vonage is expensive and (in my experience at least) offers dreadful service. There are other VoIP providers which will connect to an Asterisk PBX or other equipment and charge less for more features.

Reply to
John R. Levine

What hardware are you using?

Reply to
Vox Humana

No, I meant are you going to use a particular ATA or are you going to use a pc-based system like Asterisk.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Maybe you should look at another service. Teliax has a business package that allows four concurrent instances per each business DID. You could use Asterisk or cheap IP phones.

formatting link

Reply to
Vox Humana

I think you would have better performance, better support, and lower costs with a provider like Teliax. The hard-wired IP phone will have more features for the price. Take a look at this one which costs about the same as the two line cordless models you are looking at:

formatting link
What is Vonage charging for four DIDs and their "hunt" scheme? From what I have read from Vonage customers, I wouldn't want to trust my business phone needs to them.

Reply to
Vox Humana

There is a low cost, super low noise device called Combine-a-line, that is perfect for your application!

Marco

formatting link

Reply to
Marc Popek

Haven't they pulled your account yet, spammer..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

why not go the voip and inexpensive adapter to pstn for your voip and pstn phone connections??

marc

combine-a-line link here:

Reply to
Marc Popek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.