voip quetion

i had at one time vonage, but i was on cable,now i switch yo verizon DSL and they are teling me that i cant have DSL stand alone,i have to get at least local service in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it true?or do i have to goback to cable? and what about people that whant to use cell insted of a land line?any comments please? thank's Raphy

Reply to
Evil Raphy
Loading thread data ...

you have to see if in your erea there is anyone who offers "naked DSL", that is DSL on the wire without an active dialtone from your telco.

Reply to
radar

You can get DSL without dialtone in plenty of places in the USA.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

in many countries you can't get a landline without a basic telephone service included. So having DSL necessitates having a landline service.

You don't need to plug a telephone in or use it, but the cost may be uncompetitive compared to cable.

A similar situation might arise if you didn't want a CableTV service but wanted their high speed internet servcie.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

Here in the states, I don't know about other countries, DSL is a tarrifed ADD ON to local phone service. So, yes you do have to have a local line in addition to the DSL. No local line, nothing to ADD to.

Reply to
John S.

I was told a long time ago that DSL would always require a POTS line. It's a bunch of crap. Check out SpeakEasy.

formatting link
have "OneLink" plans that don't require POTS. (I'm hoping they'll come to my area!)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

I think this is an issue where you are going to get people arguing both sides becuase there may not be full understanding of the technology or abbreviations. I believe with DSL, you need a landline, but with cable, you do not. I too though am not 100% sure about that.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

People confused about tech, regulations and company policy.

Yes. But what else there that connects to your home with a telecom equipment? Are you going to put another pair of copper wires to most homes?

In reality, DSL runs over phone line. The phone company owns the phone to your home. Any one wants to use it has to pay. Either you pay your phone company directly or anohter service provider pays the phone company to use the phone line.

It seems the originator's phone company has a policy to bundle DSL and POTS.

Reply to
sinsrus

So what?

As I said in my first message: are you going to install another pair of wires to every single home in the land?

You can reinvent wheel if you like. Nobody cares.

Reply to
sinsrus

Nope. POTS and DSL are both services that work across a pair of copper wires (such as, but by no means restricted to, a "phone line"). You can have one service or the other or both.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

but it uses a phone line ! DSL always has a line, that's what the L stands for.

It may not involve having a telephone service but it "connects into your phone jack (Speakeasy pays the phone company for this)"

Artists !

Phil

Reply to
Phil Thompson

As one counterexample, I've been involved in several installations that involved connecting buildings using pairs of DSL modems over copper wire purchased from electrical supply shops.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

And usually at a higher price.

Reply to
wkearney99

I think the confusion started from this "counterexample," You better explain the point of counterexample.

Reply to
sinsrus

Actually, the "L" stands for "loop". Digital Subscriber Loop.

Yes - DSL requires the use of twisted pair, which is the same *physical* medium used by POTS. But you *don't* have to have POTS operational in your home to use DSL. They are simply two separate technologies that happen to use the same medium.

James

Reply to
James Calivar

There is already a pair of wires to almost every single home in the land. What's your point? (it might help if you didn't trim out all context)

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Well, to demystify you here it is: with DSL you don't need a dialtone/landline account IF your area allows it. It is called "naked DSL" in some areas but depends on the state/province/city you're in (yeah, I covered US & Canada on that one).

Reply to
radar

Congratulations.

If they original question (which I quoted and you snipped and apparently ignored) had been "i have to get at least a line in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it true?" instead of "i have to get at least local service in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it true?" you might have provided some useful information.

There was a time when it meant "loop".

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

DSL,; Uses the wires, phone lines communicate on.

Marco You can autoswitch VOIP and PSTN with comb>

Reply to
Marc Popek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.