Voip over Satellite internet?

I've made it work, but the lag is obviously really severe. Okay for those cases where there's no other option, but I don't think many people could put up with it for ordinary day-to-day use.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz
Loading thread data ...

Has anyone done it? are there any issues (i.e. delays, lag, etc) or is it just like a regular voip over cable or DSL setup

Sergio.

Reply to
sergio Fernandez

Intelstat have demonstrated voice over satellite links and the quality is quite good; especially now that many of us are used to using mobile calls where the voice quality is poor when compared to PSTN.

Voice over satellite is often delivered into countries where the infrastructure is poor and so end users accept the poor quality as there is no alternative.

Farouq.

Reply to
Farouq

I'd never heard of anyone trying to use VoIP via Satellite internet. I would think there would be a really bad lag, but obviously, I have no idea. I'd love to hear some reactions to how it works.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

How much do they charge for the service?

Reply to
sergio Fernandez

At its very best, Satellite is great for TV. Beyond TV it's not good for much of anything else except perhaps global positioning and telemetry. DSL Internet access over satellite is dreadful. Download speeds (consumer accounts) at times can be adequate for general web surfing, but simply awful for file transfers and literally impossible for gaming. VOIP telephone over conventional high altitude (22,000 mile) satellite orbits is, IMO, worse than "unacceptable" except perhaps for satellite hobbyiests, home tinkerers and gadgeteers who are amused by playing with technological excrement that just barely works, if at all. The satellite video phones you saw being demonstrated during the early days of the Iraq war are -not- consumer grade devices. Those devices use (and pay for) far more bandwidth than consumer grade phones. Those satellite calls you saw were placed with uplink devices costing over $10,000 per terminal and the bandwidth cost was approx $6/minute.... and you all saw how crappy the call quality was.

Reply to
Mitel Lurker <wdg

Yeah, we have achieved fairly acceptable quality calls for one of our clients

formatting link
which is a big satelite broadband distributor. There is a lag of about 1.5 seconds, but if you can cope with that, it's ok.

This was using the g729a codec.

peter

Reply to
Peter Gradwell

That's really interesting. I had no idea that VoIP would work so well over satelite broadband. That's a pretty interesting concept that I can only imagine will grow as the industry does.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

There are three barriers to smooth VoIPping: latency, bandwidth, and jitter. There's no particular rason that bandwidth or jitter have to be a problem with satellite connections, but the latency is almost always severe. For people who aren't very accustomed to 1+ second lag, it is very disruptive.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Some times, satelite services are the only option in certain remote areas. so, I will have to find someone who can make it work.

Reply to
sergio Fernandez

There's nothing that can be done to "make it work". The laws of physics mean going 22,000 miles up to a satellite and back down again will take time. That 44k round-trip cannot be gotten around. The only reason to use satellite is if NO wired solution exists in the area.

Reply to
wkearney99

Geosynchronous Orbit Approximately 280 milliseconds one way

"Low earth orbit is approximately 300 to 1,000 miles above the earth. It takes about 20 to 40 milliseconds for a signal to bounce from an earth bound station to a LEO then back to an earth station. This is compared to the ½ second it takes the same signal to bounce off a GEO satellite. "

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Low earth orbit reduces the trip time but the cost is still the problem, VOIP is not a good choice for any satellite system. The overhead of VOIP and digital encoding is not a good match.

Reply to
Stanley Reynolds

The only device that can work over satellite is Innovaphone, but you need to know the exactly delay between the end point. Over satellite there is a bad delay and a bad jitter for VoIP so you have to buy only some satellite connection. It's very different from DSLsetup. Innovaphone have the best jitter buffer that I know.

Cristian

snipped-for-privacy@nextmedia.it

Reply to
mazza

I'm using a Sipura 1001 with the jitter buffer set to "high" and it's serviceable over this satellite link (though the lag is inevitably awful):

PING

formatting link
(147.135.0.5): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=105 time=1240.04 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=105 time=1171.79 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=105 time=1103.85 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=3 ttl=105 time=1035.42 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=4 ttl=105 time=1277.95 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=5 ttl=105 time=1215.61 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=6 ttl=105 time=1147.57 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=7 ttl=105 time=1263.77 ms 64 bytes from 147.135.0.5: icmp_seq=8 ttl=105 time=1506.29 ms ^C

---

formatting link
ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 10% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max = 1035.42/1218.03/1506.29 ms

Packet RTTs even in this small sample varied by 50%, an absolute amount of

500ms.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.