How to test for connection drops?

Hi,

I've had my new WGT624 for about a week. Things seem to be working fairly well; However over the past few days, I've noticed a few instances of apparent connection drops: Several times when listening to Real Audio feeds I've been disconnected. Another time while downloading a file, I got a "connection reset by server" message. These could very well have been flukes but considering that I just got the router, I would like to be sure. Is there any software I could run on the PC that would hang out in the background, and monitor the consistancy of my internet connection?

Also in another thread, Jeff Lieberman refered to win XP's 802.1x authentication. Is this something I should turn off as well and if so, where is it? Note at the moment for purposes of troubleshooting, I'm running an open network with no encryption.

Thanks,

--Al

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli
Loading thread data ...

listening

Problems usually show up when the network activity is high as in your Audio feeds and downloads. Timing becomes a critical issue. I have found that if I make my wireless packet size (fragmentation threshold) which is normally 2346 and make it the same size as the ethernet packets 1518 that it appears to perform better on exhaustive downloads. The Ap spends less time converting packet sizes and pays a little more attention to other things. It can reduce throughput but on error retransmissions it takes less processing work. This can be configured in your wireless adapter properties if you would like to give it try.

This is under the wireless connection properties, usually right click your connection in the tray and select properties browse around till you find the authentication tab and there is a checkbox there. In winxpsp1 this was by default checked but in SP2 it is unchecked by default.

Reply to
Airhead

formatting link

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thanks to both Airhead and duane for your responses, I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens. one interesting thing is I never used to have dificulties when I was using my old d-link di-713P. I got the new router but am still using old Orinoco Gold 802.11b cards so I wonder if there are some protocol issues between the older cards and the newer router? Perhaps it's worth looking for the latest Orinoco gold firmware as well...

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli

You can try disabling XP's Wireless Zero Configuration Server that may be seeking out other networks in your area and trying to connect and is dropping the connection.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

This isn't exactly what you want, but it will monitor the traffic. If it stops, you've been disconnected:

formatting link
Download a copy of fping 2.09 at:
formatting link
's an MSDOS program that does a better job than what Microsoft foists on the GUM (great unwashed masses) with Windoze. Run it continuously with 5 seconds between pings. If a packet evaporates or the connection is lost, the sequence number will show an error and beep on a timeout. See example below:

fping

formatting link
-c -t 5000 -b- Fast pinger version 2.09 (c) Wouter Dhondt
formatting link
formatting link
[166.84.62.125] with 32 bytes of data every 5000 ms: Reply[1] from 166.84.62.125: bytes=32 time=98 ms TTL=236 Reply[2] from 166.84.62.125: bytes=32 time=95 ms TTL=236 Reply[3] from 166.84.62.125: bytes=32 time=93 ms TTL=236 Reply[4] from 166.84.62.125: bytes=32 time=98 ms TTL=236 Reply[5] from 166.84.62.125: bytes=32 time=99 ms TTL=236 Ping statistics for 166.84.62.125: Packets: Sent = 5, Received = 5, Lost = 0 (0% loss) Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 93 ms, Maximum = 99 ms, Average = 97 ms

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Great,

Thanks!

Reply to
Al Puzzuoli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.