Skype with Pentium II 266 Mhz

Hello,

a friend of mine wants to buy a laptop. I gather that a Pentium II

266Mhz 160MB RAM might be enough for all the things she wants to do. All but one. She wants to use Skype. The linux skype system requirements state that one needs 400Mhz to execute Skype. Has anyone ever tried doing that? Has anyone maybe tried it on an even slower machine? The universityshop sells another laptop with a P3-400Mhz and 128MB RAM. This would match the system requirements but as I can't tried skype beforehand I'm not sure whether I can recommend this laptop to her.

Any experiences? Someone maybe running it on 500Mhz, 600Mhz, 800Mhz, ...?

Very many thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack.Hambabo
Loading thread data ...

That's strange. I do use P3/800 512M RAM machine with Skype and multiple applications open, and there is nothing that indicates lack of CPU power. Granted, when you got a call thru Skype or otherwise, you tend to concentrate on the conversation and not do anything CPU-power demanding at that time, but the lack of CPU power is not showing in any obvious way.

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 6613 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
telecom-gear.com

Ah well some people are easily pleased ;-)

I've run Skype on a P200 with 256k RAM under Win98SE if that's any help.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I am using a P3/800 and I can always tell when a Skype event is about to happen as my typing stops being echoed....not enough CPU left to refresh the display.

Reply to
Jim Hatfield

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.