FREE VOIP from your website/webpage

formatting link
The link above also as links for scripts to show you how to use vonage from any webpage, and have people call you for free. This is great for friends, family, or your customers. They just enter their phone # on the webpage, your vonage phone rings, you pick it up, and the person that entered their phone # on the website is automatically connected. This is an awesome feature! ...Just think of the possibilities with a feature like this.

Reply to
Sam Moore
Loading thread data ...

Looks useful, but I am not and have no wish to become a Vonage customer, they are too expensive. If it can be done with other SIP services then I am definitely interested.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Ivor:

Nothing to it (me thinks). Get you friend to set up a softphone, email his IP number and then you just call them from your VoIP (soft)phone. Of course what Vonage has done is wrapped the whole thing up as a single process, no doubt some one will do the same soon enough. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

and you are paying for the call to a non-VoIP number I guess...

does Vonage allow any incoming SIP calls from third parties?

Reply to
Georg Schwarz

why do you need to know an IP address? Doesn't vonage provide SIP URIs for their customers?

Reply to
Georg Schwarz

I am not and do not want to be a Vonage customer.

Nor do I want to use a softphone, come to that.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

You misunderstand. To call anyone, anywhere you just get them to run a softphone, then call them using their IP. They don't need to be registered with any SIP provider. That's basically what Vonage is doing with their 'webpage' phone. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Ivor

You don't have to, only the person without any SIP registration / hardware you want to speak to. Obviously Vonage has made it easier by doing all the setup via their webpage for the VoIP virgin. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Schwarz:

You still don't understand, the call is entirely VoIP. Anyone anywhere without any SIP software or registration can simply use their browser and a 'webphone' on the Vonage's website to connect to any Vonage user just by putting in the, destination Vonage number. ( Obviously speakers & microphone or headset on the originating PC is required ). Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Vonage, as far as I know, barely participates in VOIP. The only thing they allow their customers to do is place a call through them to the normal phone company. They don't allow their customers to call other SIP phones directly and they don't allow other sip phones to call their customers directly.

If this has changed I'd love to know how to call vonage customers from my sip phone or how Vonage customers can call my sip phone.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

sounds like they are offering some Java-Applet or similar thing that acts in fact as a VoIP client. I would guess it only runs on certains OSes from a certain vendor with a certain web browser when using rather low security settings. For curiosity, could you point me to one such page as an example?

From a compatibility and security standpoint it would be more customer friendly to just publish a SIP URI that people can use to call the respective Vonage customer with a SIP device of their choice. But that would probably too comfortable to the caller, so Vonage would loose fees on incoming PSTN calls substituted by incoming off-net SIP calls.

Reply to
Georg Schwarz

I know. But in case they happen to be registered with a SIP server you just call their SIP URI without bothering about theirt current location(s) on the web. That's one of the advantages SIP holds.

so they ask you to input the IP of the person you want to call???

Reply to
Georg Schwarz

Georg, Wolfgang, according to the original poster and as per subject line (not quite clear), you do this from Vonage website. As previously said, all you do is put in the Vonage phone No. and get connected. I don't know anyone with Vonage phone, so I can't be bothered to look. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Did you read the bit where I said I don't want to be a Vonage customer..?!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Ivor:

Yep, me neither, but IF I needed to phone a Vonage No. I would use it. As I said I think this is interesting development and would get widely copied, it could bring lots of new customers to VoIP once they find it easy and free or at least cheap. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

This is easy with an asterisk box and it should work on any available channel type

Reply to
JuliusP

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.