Would these firewall rules work for me?

Hi,

I'm relatively new to firewalls, etc, but I now have broadband, a router, and consequently a hardware firewall.

I don't run any services on my PC with the exception of VNC, and have a NAT on the firewall to allow this to work.

Given this, would the following set of rules for my firewall work, or would I "break" something I need?

1. Block all incoming tcp traffic to ports 1023 (w/ exception of VNC's port)
  2. Block all outgoing tcp traffic from ports
Reply to
Tom Melly
Loading thread data ...

Your going about things the wrong way!!

Deny everything, unless you explicitly require it.

eg. src, s_port, dest, d_port, permission, comment

*, *, *, 80, allow, //Allow HTTP *, *, *, >=1024, allow, //Allow responses to unprivileged ports *, *, *, *, deny, //default deny

You will of course have to add rules for everything else... FTP, SMTP, DNS are all musts hence

*, *, *, 20, allow, //FTP *, *, *, 21, allow, //FTP *, *, *, 25, allow, //SMTP *, *, *, 53, allow, //DNS

Please don't take everything I say as given!! I am just learning this stuff myself, hopefully someone will confirm what I have said (backing up what I think I know....)

Regards,

Ben

Reply to
bensmyth

To be more secure would the following be more secure:

src, s_port, dest, d_port, permission, comment

*, *, *, 80, allow, //HTTP outgoing *, 80, *, >=1024, allow, //HTTP incoming

*, *, *, 25, allow, //SMTP outgoing

*, 25, *, >=1024, allow, //SMTP incoming *, *, *, *, deny, //default deny
Reply to
bensmyth

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.