do i need software firewall?

I have installed a Netgear WGR614 router that has NAT and SPI enabled. It controls my wired desktop and wireless laptop computers. I am trying to learn a bit about hardware firewalls now and have read messages here that software firewalls are not needed if you have a NAT router.

Other than perhaps wanting to monitor outbound traffic do I need my desktop Sygate 5.6 software firewall anymore?

Should I bother turning on the Windows firewall on my laptop?

Will I continue to be able to use file sharing applications without making specific rules in the router?

How about other applications that use non-standard ports?

Thanks

Reply to
badgolferman
Loading thread data ...

No.

Yes. Or stop offering network services. "Laptop" sounds like this is a portable device, which is sometimes not behind your filtering device.

Yes, if the clients are behind this filtering router, too. Dependend on the rules: yes for other clients.

What about them?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

According to me You need a desktop antivirus and firewall. It will be 2nd level security for your laptop and workstations.

1st level is NAT Router or Firewall

Thanks CK

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
NETADMIN

Not really.

No. You can follow something like:

formatting link
(there are probably better ones around...used to have a good on bookmarked but it's no longer available), and disable any OS services that aren't necessary.

Hard to say, chances are if you're sharing (P2P) with someone outside your network you'll have to tweak it a bit.

The router will have to be configured to allow traffic on those ports. (Most allow application triggering or static rules).

Reply to
kingthorin

If you want to monitor outgoing applications then a host based application firewall ,of hips type programe would be required. me

Reply to
bassbag

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.